Conviction (Sanji x Reader)

WARNING: Contains major spoilers from chapter 813 and 814. If you are not up to date with the manga, I suggest you stop reading here.

* * * * *

"The groom will be the third son of the Vinsmoke family, Sanji."

The cold marble-tiled floor seemed to fall away beneath your knees, and you no longer felt the bite of the chains that bound you. The words echoed in your mind, all other sounds muted as if heard from underwater. Your body turned numb in their wake.

It couldn't be true. It just couldn't.

Sanji's cigarette seemed to fall in slow motion from his lips. It bounced once on the tiled floor and lay there smouldering, forgotten. You couldn't see his face.

You vaguely heard the others' exclamations of surprise from beside you.

"What!?"

"Sanji's getting married!?"

Capone Bege thrust the invitation across the table. "Take it," he said, lips curling around his cigar.

Sanji made no move to receive it. He could see the words clearly enough, emblazoned in formal red lettering against a pale pink background. They spelled a sort of finality, an inevitability, as if they were written in stone instead of mere ink. There was no denying or mistaking it now.

"Why now of all times?" Sanji said finally, his voice low, measured.

Capone scoffed, tossing the unwanted invitation onto the table. "How would I know what's going on with your family?"

Sanji made no reply. He kept his head lowered and his arms crossed, calm and collected, even as the still smoking cigarette on the floor burst into flame. Capone rushed to extinguish it.

"Bastard! What the hell are you trying to do, burn down the whole castle?!" He stamped it out furiously and gave Sanji a long, lingering glare, before taking his seat again at the opposite end of the table.

Beside you, amongst the commotion, you could hear Brook muttering to himself.

"Vinsmoke? That name sends a chill down my spine... It can't be..."

Nami and Chopper heard him too. They wanted answers as much as you did.

"Sanji, what's the meaning of this?" Nami pleaded.

"Are you really getting married!?" Chopper cried.

Sanji ignored the both of them. His shoulders tensed, as if he was expecting another voice to chime in, one he could not ignore. But it never came. You watched as he turned his face to the side, almost enough for you to meet his eye. But he seemed to catch himself just in time, and turned back to Capone.

"Who in the world is behind this harebrained scheme?"

"Your family, you dumbass. You know, for a son of the Vinsmoke's, you don't seem properly groomed." Capone drained his wine glass and gestured for more. Sanji had not touched his.

"Sanji's family..." Nami muttered. You had to strain your ears to hear her. "Come to think of it, even though we met him in East Blue, he did say he was born in North Blue."

You clenched your jaw. Sanji rarely spoke about his past, not even to you. It hurt that he had not trusted you enough to tell you.

"I always thought that was fishy," Brook whispered back. "You have to cross the Red Line to get from North to East Blue. That's quite a journey." He turned to Sanji. "Just how the hell were you raised?"