Prologue

Deadly beautiful.

A glowing destruction.

The flames are spreading like wild fire. Blink for a second and the flames would be a meter larger. Every inch of my body is scorching, begging to be outside in the cool winters night.

I back myself up further into the corner of my room, my knees pulled into my chest tightly and I place my tiny hands covered in an arrangement of paint colours over my ears, praying it'll block the noise out. The piercing screams worm through my hands and into my ears making me scrunch my eyes up, hoping to wake up and this to just be a nightmare.

Grey, black clouds smother my entire room making it black instead of the baby pink colour it should be. Vicious coughs force there way out of my throat as smoke fills my healthy lungs. My eyes start to burn, sting and water, like I'm cutting an onion but a thousand times.

I frantically look around for an escape, the door is blocked by fallen in roof, there's a window next to me but I'm on the second floor. Panic takes over me and as the flames grow and reach for me, with that I take a chance. Opening the window I look behind me to see how close the flames are. A bundle of coughs form in my throat again as I stand on the ledge and grab hold of the black plastic water pipe on the side of the building.

I hope that if I do fall from the pipe that my five year old frame can handle the impact. Sliding myself down the pipe my eyes cry tears of sadness, instead of tears from the smoke.

Making it safely on the ground I take a deep breath, savouring the clean, crisp air.

I turn around and look at the building that's been my home for the past five years up in bright rather mesmerising orange, red, burnt orange flames. No longer are screams heard, just the collapsing of the building's frame, piling onto each other like footballers after they score a goal.

My friends are dead. My home is dead. My safe place is dead.

Under the night sky, I run away from the orphanage and away down the quiet road.

I don't know where I end up but my lungs beg for air and my breathing is heavy. There's only a few houses occupied, most are vacant. The street lamps flicker, rubbish lying on the floor. The wind howls in the night and I start to shiver, I wrap my arms around my body trying to keep myself warm, as I'm only wearing thin pyjama pants and a short sleeved top with hello kitty on them.

Dogs bark in the distance, however that's not what takes my attention, instead it's the car that's coming down the road, two bright lights becoming bigger and bigger, brighter and brighter.

Safety, I think as I wave my hands around like a maniac hoping to catch the drivers attention.

The brown sedan car pulls over next to me, the breaks screeching as it does so. The man driving has a good set of scruffy brown hair, a stubble, his nose is slightly crooked to the right side and is in his late thirties. He winds down the window, his left eye twitchy ever so slightly as he asks me creepily "What are you doing out here, it's winter. Are you lost?". However, taking no notice of the creepiness that laces his voice, I continue the conversation.

"Um my o-orphanage burnt down, can you t-take me to the p-police station please." I stutter, nervous around new people.

"Sure, hop in." I give him a grateful smile before walking round the car, shyly and into the passengers seat. The warmth of the car immediately hits me making me feel toasty and comfortable again.

***

We pull up to a small two story house. I begin to fidget as I wait.

"Come on, darling." He smiles warmly at me. I reluctantly follow him inside, ready to tell the police.

He pushes me through the door and I immediately start to panic as I recognise this as a house not a police station.

"I-I thought w-we were going to the p-police station." My breath catches in my throat as different scenarios play in my child mind.

"This is your new home now. Your mine and you're never going to leave. I'm going to do what ever I want to you, do you understand?" He yells.

I cry a river at his words as I realise what's happening.

"Let me go. P-please." I cry and try to run for the front door, but instead he slaps me across the face just before I can reach the door. Pain shoots up through my face and I fall to the floor, shaking from the fear radiating through my body.

He ignores my cries and locks the several locks on the door before putting the key in his pocket and turning away from my shaking, curled up figure.

Prologue done. I'm gonna try n make this book good. :)

Cover by: Mooumo
Anyway please check out my other book: Violence is the key.

-Abi