五 ♥︎ Nowhere Man

We were frozen in awkward silence as we walked out of the library. Mabel seemed flighty to say the least. I watched her in silence as she zoomed past us and ran a lap or two around the lamposts. I felt eyes watching the direction of mine, burning the side of my face — probably Dipper, who I suppose might be wary of me. Then again, if he actually thought I was a problem, he most likely would have left me in the middle of nowhere. Then why did I feel his eyes following mine? Did he find another arbitrary trait to focus on and ponder about for the duration of our stroll? I might never know.

I was suddenly knocked over, landing on my rear as I was met with a sign labeled, 'Mystery Hack' sounds like a tourist attraction... 'Wait, that sounds like a terrible marketing strategy, ' I thought as I glanced up again. The S was not aligned with the rest of the sign: 'Mystery Shack'... still sounds sketchy. I can just imagine some old guy coming up to a child saying, 'Hey kid, wanna come to my shack? I got free candy~'

The sign was then blocked by nimble, soft hand. I grabbed it so I could hoist myself back on two feet. While I got up, I took a moment to gaze at the most marvelous dark orbs I've ever seen. They seemed energetic, innocent, almost like a shooting star.

"We're here!" Mabel yelled at the top of her lungs, standing right in front of me.

I couldn't think of a way to respond while I nodded promptly... like an idiot. I stepped back to break the space; as if I haven't created enough between us already. Luckily, I saw Dipper walk in the shack and Mabel following suit. He kept the door open for me; I wonder if he would respond the same way if he heard my thoughts regarding his sister just seconds ago.

I can't think of that anyway, especially now. I now have to act upon what I said in the library. After all, if I mess this up, who else would be willing to employ me? I took a deep breath and walked in, knowing what I need to do.

"Hey kiddos, you're here earlier than usual. Did Dipper finally get that chest hair?" said an elderly man in a suit and fez before letting out a roar of laughter.

Dipper lowered his head as he groaned with embarrassment. "No Grunkle Stan. Actually, I have a business proposal."

"A business proposal? Alright, what is it? A series of spooky stories?"

"No Stan... Well... Uh... Just listen. This is YN. She has a good story you may want to use. You know, " he said under his breath, "something here that isn't fake."

"Oh ho ho, " he said, turning to me, "Dipper has a lady friend who he wants to do some business with."

"No! What? YN needs money, and she has the potential to boost your sales. Just... just listen to her story."

I took it upon myself that this is the closest I'll be to an interview. I took a sheet of crumpled paper from my bag and began to tell a story of a human to whom grew aggravated of the human race's mannerisms. This repulsion towards the human race motivated them to live far from society, becoming almost animal-like — due to social deprivation — eventually regressing mentally. This regression later became the drive for their animalistic actions by the time mating season came about. Throughout the story, the human has retained their biological factors, being the cause of their demise.

By the time I looked up from the wrinkled piece of paper, I could've sworn I saw dollar signs in the old guy's eyes. What was his name anyway? I suppose I should use Mr. Stan for now; after all, we don't really know each other.

Come to think of it, everyone is still a complete stranger to me.