Chapter Nineteen

Chapter 19:

~George~

                As the end of the year got closer I could Echo saddening. She tried to hide it with that smile of hers, but it was clear when no one was watching and she was staring off into space that she was sad. Even with Esca being nice to her and being kind to everyone (well as kind as that prat could be), I could see the sadness in her. I don’t think anyone else noticed it though.

                “What’s wrong?” I asked as the two of us were walking by ourselves in the night. I had taken her for a walk because I thought it would clear her mind. She liked the night and stillness.

                “Nothing,” she replied with that smile of hers.

                “Echo,” I sighed. “You need to open up to me. You keep so much closed: your powers, what you feel, what you see. You are so troubled for someone so young.”

                She laughed. “George for a second you actually sounded wise. Who are you and what have you done with George Weasley?”

                I elbowed her softly. “Don’t change the subject, Echo.”

                She rolled her eyes. “It’s nothing I can’t handle George.”

                “So there is something. Now you have to tell me.”

                “I know you want to know,” she said. There was something different in her voice now, almost as if she was older. “I know you want me to tell you what I keep within, but I keep it there for a reason and I would feel a lot better if other people did not know about it.”

                For a second I lost my train of thought. I even forgot where I was, but then it all came back. “Echo,” I sighed. “Don’t be ridiculous. I’m sure whatever you hold in that mind of yours in nothing life threatening or life changing.”

                She gave me a look that made me rethink everything I just said. Pure fear was in the corners of her eyes and on top of that, I saw a hint of a smile. That made my skin crawl.

                “That is where you are wrong,” she replied. “At this very moment Harry Potter is with Hermione Granger and your brother Ron Weasley, in seek of the Sorcerer’s Stone. They believe they are after Professor Snape, but in truth they are after Professor Quirrell who has two auras. One is his, and the other…I am surprised I never noticed it there before. The other has a strong hatred of Harry.”

                My stomach flipped. “How long have you known about this?”

                “Five minutes at the most,” she replied calmly, “but I have felt something off and wrong for weeks, first with Quirrell and then with Harry.”

                “So let me get this straight,” I said wondering if she was playing a prank on me and Fred was about to jump out from behind a corner. “Harry, Ron, and Hermione have goon to get this Sorcerer’s Stone that I have never heard of, they believe Professor Snape is the one after it, but Quirrell is who they are really after and he has two auras, and you have known this for five minutes?”

                “That sounds right,” she replied crossing her arms across her chest and looking forward in clear thought. “Ron is not moving and Hermione is with Harry elsewhere,” she said almost sounding in a trace. “Now Harry and Hermione are separated, Hermione is with Ron, and Harry is with…Quirrell and someone else.”