Chapter Ten • Shocking

"Hey baby." Adira cooed as she reached Enzo. The Raptors had been locked in cages as they prepared to be set loose. It held their heads tightly on one side of the metal wall. The cages had only ever been used to keep the Raptors when they were either getting checked up on or were receiving some shots. She never thought they would be used to obtain them before battle.

Enzo tensed at first with his bright yellow eyes going wild until he recognised who was standing before him. He softly purred as she ran her hand from the top of his head to his nose in a petting motion, just how he liked it.

"Be careful out there and please be good." she whispered as she maintained eye contact with the one eye she could see from where she stood on his left. As much as she cared for the Raptors, they were still intelligent ruthless animals. They hoped to control them, use them as weapons. That would only happen on the Raptors terms. If they decided they didn't want to, you wouldn't have a chance to put them down. They'd kill you before you even had the chance to think.

Owen soon joined her, tending to the Raptors in hopes of calming them to prepare them for what was to come. They shared a few looks but a word hadn't been uttered since he arrived. They didn't need to speak to know what they were thinking. 

'Be safe, I love you' and even 'oh shit we're in trouble'

"Are they safe?" a timid voice spoke behind them. They turned around to see both Zach and Gray standing at the bars watching the Raptors in both fear and curiosity.

"No they're not" Owen answered. Adira sent a comforting smile to Gray. The last thing she wanted was for him to freak out now. Zach watched her with a small smile, it was amazing how easy going to was around the Raptors. It really showed how much she cared for them.

"What're their names?" he asked when he managed to stop drooling over the beautiful girl before him.

"There's Charlie, Delta, Echo" she pointed to the first three Raptors. "Here's Enzo" she smiled and walked over to him, returning her hand in the same comforting motions as before.

"She babies him." Owen piped up before she could name the last Raptor. She rolled her eyes and returned to the bars, choosing to ignore him.

"That's Blue, she's the beta" she grinned. Gray knit his eyebrows together as he thought.

"Who's the Alpha?" he finally asked after going through his memories to make sure he hadn't missed her telling him who it was.

"You're looking at 'em kid" Owen smirked. He wrapped his arm around Adira's shoulders in a short hug as Gray's eyes grew wide like saucers.

"They just keep getting cooler!" Adira heard Gray whisper discreetly to Zach, although he did a terrible job since herself and Owen heard it clear as day. They looked to each other with raised eyebrows as if to say 'good observation'

"Kids!" Claire called from where she stood next to a van. Zach rolled his eyes at her calling him a kid but followed after his brother to her. He looked back to Adira to see if she was coming but she sent a small hand signal to say she would catch up.

"If you die, I'll kill you." she told Owen with a serious face before pulling him in for a hug. She could feel the confusion rolling off him as he tried to figure out how anything she was doing could make sense. After a second he huffed at his confusing sister and hugged her back.

"Same goes to you Adi." he mumbled into her hair after leaving a kiss. He pulled away with a sad smile. "Alright, go to Claire and the boys. Keep them safe"

"Shouldn't you say that Claire will keep me safe?" she asked with a small laugh.

"The only thing that could take you down is yourself, you stubborn little girl"