Chapter Seven • Battery

"Do you know where we're going?" Zach asked as they walked through the woods. They had been walked for a while now and the hot weather had tried them off thankfully.

"We head south and we'll hit the centre" she told him confidently as she looked up at the sun for navigation. She was glad Owen was a survivalist and had taught her all this stuff in case she ever got lost on the island.

"Gray?" she asked when she noticed he had stopped running ahead. She looked to see a bloodied helmet and immediately slapped it out of his hands. He shouldn't have to see things like that.

"Stay here" Zach told them as he put and arm in front of them protectively when he spotted a car crashed into a tree. Gray grabbed onto Adira's hand and was adamant on going after him, even after his instructions to wait. She didn't argue, it's not like the dinosaur was going to jump out from behind the car and yell 'boo!'.

They walked over to the crashed car slowly. Zach sighed in annoyance when he noticed it wasn't going to help them, it was too beat up. Adira ran a hand through her long brown hair that was now wavy from drying. She sent a small smile to Gray to encourage him to stay positive but it came out as a grimace. She couldn't help but think the dinosaur was following them. She remembered when it was about to kill them, it was having fun, enjoying the chase. It was obviously smarter than the usual dino, and that scared her. She thought about the possibility that it was somewhere near, camouflaged as it waited for when they felt safe, and then it would pounce.

"Am I hallucinating from being out in the sun for so long, or is that a door?" she asked when she looked up to see two large stone doors that was concealed by vines. They walked to the door curiously while they took careful steps. The place was overgrown and muddy, it had obviously not been touched in years.

She shared a look with Zach and nodded. They placed their hands on the grimy door handles and pushed. The doors creaked heavily and stopped halfway, but it was enough space to let them in.

The walked into a large room that had stone walls and broken staircase. It was hard to tell what anything was, the greenery had overgrown everywhere. There were vines hanging from the ceiling that let in minimum light, but it was enough to see where they were going. There was a glass dome at the top that was dirty with moss.

"Wow" Gray breathed out. He wasn't expecting to find something like this behind the large doors. "Adi?" he asked, wanting an explanation on where they were.

"Jurassic Park" he told them. "This place has always been restricted, not that it stopped me from going out here, I've just never seen this place" she walked further in and spotted a banner under the vines. "I see why they shut this part away now" she picked up the banner and dusted it off to reveal the original Jurassic Park logo. Everyone had heard of it, she always believed that what happened to it was bound to happen again, but she hoped the advanced technology would prevent it. She knew now that mother nature always won, it couldn't be contained. Life always found a way.

"You still have those matches?" Zach asked Gray. He picked up a dinosaur bone and dusted it off. He took the banner from Adira's hands, wrapping it around the bone and lighting it on fire with the match Gray had given him, effectively creating a torch since neither of them had their phones after the attack in the gyro.

"We could've sold that on ebay for millions, you know" she sighed as she cringed at the banner burning into ash. Zach rolled his eyes, he'd prefer to focus on getting out alive first.

They walked down a hall in awe at the paintings on the walls of all the dinosaurs the original park held. Zach led them with the makeshift torch that barely showed them what was in front of them. Adira stopped in front of a painting of a raptor and softly placed her hand over it. She missed her raptors, she missed Owen, she missed feeling safe.