Chapter 11: Rotten Chemistry

Start from the beginning

"No, I think this is a good idea, actually. We're all doing these. Not just the cast. It'll be fun!"

Several complaints were heard from around the room, and I didn't blame them. Acting exercises sucked. Anyone who had ever taken any form of acting class could attest to that.

For the first exercise, we were forced to run around the room making animal noises for ten minutes. I kid you not. The second one was a bit better, but not by much. It was an improv exercise that required a partner. Just as I was about to partner up with anyone but Christian, Nora made us pair up together and made Blake go with Savannah.

Nora walked to the front of the room and clasped her hands together. "This exercise is called 'Yes And.' The first person in each pair starts by establishing the setting and the plot. The second person goes along with it. You have to keep agreeing with each other until it's time to stop. How about we have our protagonists show us how it's done?"

Blake pushed Christian and me to the front of the room, probably because he saw us hesitating, forcing us to be Nora's example.

I said the first thing that came to mind. "Standing next to Christian Ryder is a nightmare." If he had to agree with everything I said, I might as well make it interesting.

"Not exactly what I had in mind, but she did establish the setting and the plot in one sentence," Nora said.

Christian glared at me, going along with my statement only because he had to. Unless he was self-aware and realized he was trash. "Yeah, it's almost as much of a nightmare as talking to Sophia Hastings."

"Yeah, well, I wish I'd brought some nose plugs, because it's clear someone is overdoing the cologne again."

"Yeah, well, overdoing the cologne is better than not wearing anything at all. Clearly no one told you that."

Oh, he knew damn well I smelled like a cotton candy delight. He could do better than that.

Nora cut in just as we were about to go on, urging the rest of the cast to go off and try the exercise themselves. Christian and I were told to try the Mimicking exercise instead of continuing with this one.

As soon as she went away, Christian went for it. He sure didn't waste any time. "I'm Sophia Hastings, and I'm a raging, hormonal bitch," he said, using a girly, high-pitched voice. It was kind of terrifying. I hoped I didn't actually sound like that to other people.

Before I knew it, the words, "I'm Christian Ryder, and I'm a narcissistic piece of shit," were coming out of my mouth. I'd deepened my voice as much as I could, and for some reason, it came out sounding like Christian was a surfer dude.

"I take pride in being so much better than everyone else because I'm original and don't give into the norm," he said in that same terrible voice.

If not giving into the norm meant not giving into the hype surrounding him, then yeah, that was 100% accurate. I wasn't sure how that could be considered an insult.

"I take pride in sleeping with everything that has a vagina without contracting an STD," I shot back in my manly surfer dude voice. "Oh, wait, just kidding, I have one."

Christian glared at me. "I always seem to be on my period because I just don't know how to be in a good mood," he said, placing his hands on his hips, because all girls do that, of course.

"If I had a period, I would probably brag about the size of my tampons."

"I'm way worse, though, because I act like I have one in 24/7!"

We went on with this for who knows how long. Everyone else finished the "Yes And" exercise, the Mimicking exercise, and two other exercises while Christian and I continued the same one. Nora couldn't get us to stop by the end. Roasting each other was just too much fun.