Hunt

Jacob

Renesmée laughs as we drive over the uneven terrain. She watches me, brushing her hair back over her shoulder, and grinning from ear to ear.

"Hunting today, huh," she lays with a giggle.

"Yeah, we thought it'd be good to learn how to catch our own food."

"You sure Dahlia is gonna be ok with this?"

"She'll have to be. She doesn't really have a choice."

She snickers. "You still have so much to learn about women."

"What do you mean?"

"When a woman wants something, she finds a way to get it. Doesn't matter what anyone else says."

I laugh. "I doubt she can keep the entire pack from going hunting."

"No," Renesmée says, "but she may not come with you."

I scoff. "She has to come."

"She won't," Renesmée laughs, looking out the window now, at the vast fields which stretch out beneath us.

"What if," I wonder, "I offer another incentive?"

"What kind of incentive?"

"Well, maybe we should catch the guy who's been killing all of my wolves?"

"You want to go after Varia," she practically squeaks.

I stop, and look at her for a second. "You okay?"

"You can't go after her, she'll kill you all!"

"If she kills us all she has no blood source anymore. And I'm sick of her picking off my wolves one by one."

"But you'll get slaughtered," she protests.

"The pack has come a long way, and I'm confident they can take care of themselves."

"You got hurt the last time she came into contact with you!"

"Yeah, but I was alone. And besides, I got better!"

"They're just kids! You've been doing this for years, you can't possibly be comparing yourself to them. They're so new, and young, you'll get them all slaughtered!"

"Tsk," I mumble as I look away, avoiding her gaze completely. She folds her arms, and looks out the window, probably thinking some obscene swears.

We pull up to the inner circle, and make our first way around. I park in front of Dahlia's house, and knock on her door first.

"What," she complains, leaning against her doorframe in her pajamas.

"We're hunting today," I tell her. "Did you forget?"

"Nah," she yawns. "Just don't wanna go."

I roll my eyes, and walk into her house.

"You're saying you don't want to learn to control your powers. I get it, that's fine. Just don't come crying to me when you accidentally phase in front of Faith, and slash her face open."