Nightfall

Life is unpredictable.
We feel as though everything happens to others, never to us.
What a naïve thought.
Only then are we surprised when something does go wrong.

***

Nightfall comes all too quickly. The cold air of late fall bites at the skin, or it would, if I could feel it. The night becomes silent, or at least, silent to the human ear. To me, the night is a chorus of voices, the gentle rustling of the leaves, the sounds of animals making their homes in the trees and dirt, and the constant rushes of the wind, which bring a symphony of smells to my nose. I smell elk, puma, and several different types of birds. The nighttime seems to sleep, the quiet constant breath of the world the only movement.

I stand just outside the house, my hands in the pockets of my parka. The cools night breeze blows through my hair, and the whispers of night tingle in my ears. Behind me, Edward waits, his eyes glazed over from concentration. His sweet aroma is carried by the wind, and his smell fills my nostrils, making me smile.

I turn back to look at him, but he doesn't see me. His brow is twisted into a concerned furrow, his mouth downturned with worry.

"What's wrong," I ask.

"It's nothing," Edward says. "I don't want you to worry. I've gotta go."

He struts past me, his eyes wide with concern and fear.

"Edward," I call after him. "You've already got me worrying, just tell me what's wrong!"

He shakes his head, and takes off in the direction of Rosalie and Emmet's cottage, the darkness of night swallowing him up.

***

Jacob

"It's sure is cold, isn't it?"

Jasper looks back at me with a sort of half grin. "I wouldn't know. I can't feel the cold."

I let out a quiet chuckle. "Yeah, I suppose."

"So," Jasper smiles, "is life going well for you and Renesmée?"

"Never better," I reply, remembering the beautiful light brown eyes of the girl I love. "What about you and Alice?"

"Everything's just fine," he says, looking out into the distance, his mouth curled up into a slight grin.

Suddenly, we hear a quiet rustling in the brush. Our breathing suddenly becomes silent as we listen for the noise again, and hear nothing.

"What was that," I breathe.

"I'm not sure," Jasper says, focusing his power to calm me down. I feel my breath slow down, and a feeling of peace passes through me.

"Whatever it is, it's probably not good."

"Let's check it out, then," Jasper suggests.

We creep silently through the brush, our eyes searching for the source of the noise. The rustling of the trees, the snapping of twigs beneath our feet, the quiet whispers of night are all that we hear.

Jasper turns to me, a confused expression on his face.

Suddenly, a dark figure leaps out of the brush, and I feel a scream welling up in me as it bears down on me, its bright red eyes almost glowing in the dark. Its long pointed teeth glide into my skin, creating deep cuts in my throat. I hear the monster gulping, and feel its chapped lips brush against my skin, trapping my blood inside its mouth.