Coven

When we lose someone we care about,
All we want is to get that person back.
And we would sacrifice anything for them.
That includes our dignity.

***

Nine o'clock finally arrives, and I feel the nervousness of this day rush over me, filling my stomach with butterflies. Jasper does what he can to calm me, but there isn't much he can do when he is just as nervous as I am. Edward lets me almost crush his hand with my grip, gritting his teeth to bear the pain. I know he is just as nervous as I am, but he doesn't seem to show it. That's just the way he's always been. Stoic.

The jeep shudders as it races over the bumpy forest floor, Emmett almost flooring the pedals as he drives. The others are packed into another jeep behind us, while Esmé waits at home, watching Jake.

We reach the clearing after a few minutes, and Emmett slams on the breaks until we skid to a halt. He immediately opens the door, and jumps out, his shoulders heaving as he pants, almost growling under his breath. Jasper follows more cautiously, taking the time to check his surroundings before he jumps out. Edward and I soon follow, eager to see our daughter again.

Cautiously, we cross the clearing, careful not to seem threatening or menacing. A tall man suddenly appears from the darkness, his bright red eyes gleaming in the darkness.

"Velkom," he says, with a thick accent. "Ve vere hoping zat you vould kom kvickly, und here you are!"

Edward squeezes my hand as he stares at the speaker. His skin is so fragile it's beginning to flake, and his fangs are as long as the old stories told. His eyes are circled by the purplish bruises that we only get when we're hungry, and his pallor is so pale he might as well be transparent. He grins, creepily, and gestures for us to follow him. Emmett moves first to follow, followed by Jasper, and then Edward and I. The others follow us shortly, all of them bent low and ready.

"My name iz Cristian. I am told zat your coven is kvite large. Vhich is vhy ve are eager to add you to ze rebellion."

"What," stammers Jasper. "You kidnapped Renesmée to force us to join you?"

"Of course," Cristian smiles. "Und it vorked, obwiously."

Edward turns to look at me, now, fear in his eyes. "What happens if we say no?"

"Vell," Cristian sighs, "ve vould just have to kill her, now vouldn't ve?"

I swallow, hard, and push Edward back behind me. "We'll join you, just don't hurt her. We'll do anything."

"Perfect," he smirks, "she vill be returned to you as soon as possible. I don't imagine zat shall be long, now."

"We want her back, now," Emmett growls.

Cristian turns to him, smirking, "of course, but zere are rules here. You vill have to vait."

I take Edwards hand, squeezing it, gently. He turns his head to mine, and whispers in my ear. "Carlisle understands. This was never our fault, and it's for the best."

I nod, trembling, but not afraid.

"In ze meantime," Cristian smiles, "ve velkom you to ze Romanian Cowen."

Suddenly, several hundred vampires emerge from the tree line, their deep red eyes glinting in the darkness. Near the back, a group of bright golden eyes glimmer, and one pair off to the side shines bright yellow.

As I scan the crowd, I stop for just a moment as I find a pair of eyes, not quite red, but not yellow either. Sort of... Orange.

Edward spots them too, and begins to growl, low in his throat.

"Vat is it," Cristian wonders.

"Those orange eyes," Edward fumes.

"Ah, yes," Cristian boasts, "zose beautiful orbs belong to Waria, she chooses to only drink ze blood ov our mortal enemies, ze verevolves."

I feel my blood boiling as he says this, remembering all the poor souls who dies because of this vampire. And Jacob, who is still recovering from her attack. My hands clench up into tight fists, and my lips begin to curl back over my teeth, as a low rumbling ascends within my throat, turning into a fearsome growl. Edward places a careful hand on my shoulder, reminding me to keep my cool and not to burst out, even though he is just barely seconds away from leaping out and attacking as well.

"Vat is ze problem," Cristian asks, his cold red eyes pulling me out of my trance.

"Sorry," I mutter, collecting myself again.

Cristian sort of shrugs and turns to face the company behind him. "Ve velkom the newest addition to ze Romanian Coven, ze Cullens!"

A resounding chorus of cheers ring out from the glowing eyes before us.

"Don't forget about the wolves," I tell Cristian. "We have a strong bond with the werewolves in Forks, and the werewolf clan here."

Cristian shrugs. "Glad additions to our alliance." He raises his arms in triumph, and begins again. "With ze Cullens, ve also gain ze alliance of ze verevolves in Forks, as vell as any additions zey may have gained here!"

Another cheer goes out, this one less excited, but still glad to have the extra help.

The others close in around us, their faces slowly coming into view. The group of golden eyes near the back now clearly belong to the Denali. They stand together, glad to see us alive and alright, but all the same terrified of the situation we've been drawn into. Then, the single yellow pair reveal them self as faith, the vampire we met earlier. She smiles, showing her beautiful white teeth. As she makes her way over to us, she flips her hair over her shoulder and sighs.

"I'm glad to see you folks again," she says, taking her place in front of us. "I took your suggestion- you're right," she adds, "it is possible to survive off of animal blood! And I don't feel like a monster anymore. I'm glad you showed me that."

"We're happy to help anyone willing to listen," Carlisle says, warmly. "You're welcome to join us."

"Thanks for the offer, pops," she smirks, "but I think if rather make my own family."

He nods, and she waves as she makes her way back to her friends.

"I hope she can find her own way," Jasper whispers. "It was hard for me, and it'll be just as hard for her."

***

We wait until morning, when Renesmée is finally brought out for us. She looks tired, and a little battered from the road, but overall, she's fine. Edward and I carefully take her by the arms and carry her back to the jeep, where she sleeps, her head resting on my shoulder. Jasper drives now, as smoothly as possible, so as not to wake her. It probably took us ten minutes to get here yesterday, but today, it's a thirty minute drive. I cradle Renesmée against my body, remembering a time when she was much smaller, a time when she didn't get into trouble, when Jacob was there to watch over her. I suppose that's gone now. And to think it has already been ten years since she was born. I gently kiss her forehead, and wipe a tear from her sleeping eyes.

We may not have made this decision, but we must make the most of it.
Edward wraps his arm around our shoulders, and we look off into the newly breaking dawn.

What challenges await us in the months to come?