Part 21

Sadness lay heavy over the estate. The O'Brien tartan had been replaced with black and gray. Bagpipes echoed over the Orkney Islands. Tears flowed freely as the wind whipped about the mourners turning their tears to ice. It was too cold to be outside. Today was the type of day where you wanted to stay inside by the fire, not out at a cemetery laying a loved one to rest.

Sorcha stood next to Calleach with her arm wrapped around his. Calleach stood proud and strong with no tears, but they were in his eyes. Ella stood behind Sorcha pressing as close as she dared. Sorcha squeezed the hand Ella slipped into hers.

Slowly the people filed back to the keep where a funeral dinner was being laid out for them all. Sorcha stayed with Calleach. They stood on a hill overlooking Otters Wick. The rest of the island could be seen to the east and west.

"Do you know why Cal liked this spot?" Calleach looked down at Sorcha.

Sorcha shook her head.

Calleach pointed northeast. "He liked to imagine that he could see the Shetland Islands. Cal spent his childhood running those islands before his mother died and his father moved him to the Orkney Islands. He visited them as much as he could."

"I've never been there."

Calleach turned away from Otters Wick. He wrapped an arm around Sorcha and pulled her close against the cold wind that tore at their clothes and hair. "It's a beautiful. Much like it is here. Even the temperature is about the same."

"I'd like to go there sometime."

"We can go. Cal still has relation there. Last time I visited them was a few years ago, but they were very nice people."

The keep was a little warmer than the outside air. The wail of bagpipes could still be heard. Sorcha used her gloved hands to wipe the tears from her face. She blinked in surprise when Calleach pulled her to him so that he could bury his face in her neck. Sorcha held Calleach close to her as his body shook with suppressed sobs. He made no sound, but Sorcha's neck soon grew wet with his tears.

Sorcha soothed Calleach with soft words. If they were in their bedroom she would comfort him with her body, but all she could do now was hold him.

As Calleach pulled away from Sorcha he wiped the tears from his face. Sorcha reached up and wiped away the ones he missed. Sorcha wrapped her arms around Calleacha's waist as they continued on their way to where the funerary feast was laid out.

"I can't believe he's gone. Cal was always such a spry man fro being in his early 90s."

"Maybe it was his time."

Calleach grunted softly. "I am glad that it was quick. The physician said that Cal felt nothing after he broke his neck." Calleach rubbed a hand down his face. "Cal never would listen to me when I told him that he shouldn't go wandering the cliffs by himself."

"He was doing something he loved to do Calleach. I'm glad he died doing something he loved, instead of wasting away in a bed like my grandparents did."

"You're right," Calleach sighed as they came upon the first few mourners. "Stay with me."

There was such sorrow in Calleach's eyes and his voice broke on the last word. "I'll stay with you until you tell me to leave."

A sad smile lifted one corner of Calleach's face before he stepped forward to speak to the mourners who came to pay their respects.