I quickly turned, Marius approaches through the darkness - his hands behind his back.

I jumped away from the fence, Gem took large steps back. "Nothing," I muttered.

"You talk to animals?"

I shrugged. "Only the ones who like me."

He let out a deep chuckle, taking a step closer.

"What're you doing still awake?"

"I could ask you the same thing." Two more steps and he would have been at arms length.

I turned to Gem. "Sometimes I give her a well deserved midnight snack."

Marius' smile could be sensed in his tone. "Well, I was going to sneak myself a treat. But I guess I can share."

I looked over to his hand. He held out a small plastic jar, it's green top a great contrast to the creamy light brown interior.

"Is that?"

"Peanut butter." He smirked.

I reached over to the never before seen snack. A silver seal covered the spreadable gold. "Where did you get it?"

He shrugged. "I guess your boyfriend didn't notice it in the ticket booth payment box."

"He's not my...wait - someone left it as payment?" My mouth gasped open.

"Must have been given a handful of tickets for it."

I smiled as I carefully lifted the seal. "At least 8."

He must have stared at me for a long time as I gazed at the untouched delicacy. "Want the first spoonful?" A worn out silver spoon fell under my nose.

Gingerly I reached for the spoon, the neck bent at an angle. Slowly Marius and I watched as the metal piece dipped into the butter. Gem's trunk peaked out from under my arm. And as if the whole world depended on it, our breaths caught in our throats - watching as a novelty of the past was removed from the jar. I took the spoon into my mouth, laughing as it hit my tongue.

"So?" Marius questioned.

"It's sticky." I muffled through the peanut butter.

He grasped the spoon from my fingers. "You're right." He chuckled as the licked away the remains. Marius then carefully led the spoon towards Gem's wide open mouth. My own hands found their way on to his, guiding it towards the side she preferred having food through.

For little while we stood there, laughing as Gem struggled to smack the butter between her tongue and cheeks. My hand lingered on his. He didn't seem to mind. I didn't.

"Song bird!" A loud angry shout cracked through the dark.

I jumped, dropping Marius' hand.

"Where have you been?!" He was drunk.

"I've been here."

He snickered, at my unacceptable explanation. Marius' took a step between us. Samil went unbothered.

Did he know about Brutus?

"I've missed you." He stammered, reaching out for me. Brutus apparently wasn't on his radar.

"You have?" I shook.

He licked his lips. "I have darling, now come on. Let's go to bed."

From the corner of my eye Marius winced. His hands rolled in a fist and he placed himself in front of me. "Sir, you don't look so well." He muttered.

Samil squinted through his drunk haze. "Who the hell are you?"

"Your new backstage man."

The ring leader laughed. "Oh yes! My stage boy!"

Marius grumbled.

"Did you enjoy the show?"

"Yes, sir. The finale," Marius' glanced my way. "Was the best part."

"Indeed!"

"Perhaps after a good night's rest, the act could have attract more attention. Your lead seemed, fatigued.

Samil closed the distance between us, ignoring the man beside me. "You're right, stage boy. My Nightingale did seem off step tonight. A good night's sleep then."

I let out a small sigh of relief, which was soon shortened by a hand squeezing my cheeks. Marius tried to block with his shoulder with no effect. Samil's hand pinched tighter, bringing himself around Marius' and planted his lips against mine.

Samil laughed as he thrusted me away.

Marius was quick to my side, his arm around my waist. The ring leader was too far off to witness the contact. "He's something,"

I positioned myself back up. "I should go head back to the trailer."

"May I walk you?" I was taken aback by his question.

"If you want?" I whispered.

Marius offered his arm. I looped mine around his, and subconsciously leaned against him. The nerves on my feet had began to grow numb from the night's events. Marius glanced down. He pressed his lips together. "Do you always walk around with no shoes?"

I giggled sadly. "I do."

"Are you asking for radiation to seep through your toes?"

I shook head, refusing to make eye contact.

"He makes you?"

I nodded.

"He makes you do a lot of things you don't like, doesn't he?"

"He doesn't..."

"He does."

The rest of the walk back was silent. Yet, his supportive arm hooked on to mine remained stable.

I watched our bodies move with each step we took. He kept himself parallel to me. His steps never hastened, and his arm never pulled me to move at a faster pace. When I slowed my steps, he would too. With each limp caused by hidden stones, his body adjusted for the weight. He adjusted. He followed me. He didn't drag, or pull, or pressured.

He simply walked with me.