Chapter 9

"So what are you and Julie's plans for today?" My dad asks Izzy and her newest Bff Julie. Julie Hayes. The most popular girl in 11th grade. At first I thought that she was just hanging out with Izzy to get closer to Clare, the head cheerleader but now i'm not so sure. They bonded over shopping and other girly stuff. My dad looks like he's drinking his coffee and reading the paper but secretly he's watching me eat breakfast. I chew and swallow slowly so that it doesn't come back up. He glances up at his paper every minute to check on me.

"Mall. I have some extra money for school clothes. You know, child support." Izzy's dad always gives her money for back to school every fall. Usually he would make a big date for them to go out to lunch and he gives it to her personally but then he cancels it and a big check arrives in the mail a couple of days later. I feel bad for her, I really do. My dad always makes sure that he has time for me while it looks like her dad doesn't even give a shit about her. 

Julie taps her French manicured nails impatiently on the table. I could tell she wanted to get out out of my house and shop. Julie and Izzy were best friends but having her in my kitchen on a Sunday morning was definitely weird. She's never noticed my existence before nevertheless talk to me. She hangs out with the other popular people and dates the most popular guys in school, including Luke. I mostly try to avoid her at school but it's kind of hard avoiding her when she's in my kitchen.

"Do you want anything to eat?" My dad asks Julie. 

I know what she's going to say. Wait for it.

"No thanks, I don't eat much." 

There it is. Julie barley eats anything. She's a size zero and she makes sure that everyone knows about it. 

"Okay. Well shall we go?" Julie jumps up excitedly. My dad clears down his throat uncomfortably but he doesn't say anything. It must be hard being a stepfather sometimes. 

"These eggs are really good." I smile at him and take another bite. He smiles back and continues to drink his coffee and read the newspaper. 

"Yea, there's this really cute skater dress from forever 21 that I really liked." Izzy said as she picked up her purse off the kitchen counter. But if you've seen Izzy's closet you'll agree with me when I say that she doesn't need anymore clothes.

"Hey girls why don't you take Lydia with you? She's been needing new clothes since hers are too big now." My dad says. What? Me go shopping with them? With Julie Hayes? No way! Yes I want new clothes but not go with them. Not with Julie. She's not mean to me or anything but she's not exactly my Friend either. I could tell that Izzy was shocked too buy her eyes widen. But I did need new clothes. My jeans are so baggy that every time I take a step I have to pull up my pants. 

"Uh no dad it's oka-" I tried to politely say that there was no way I was going shopping with them but Julie cuts me off. 

"You shouldn't go, you wouldn't fit in with them anyways." Skinny says.

"Great Idea! I always wanted to makeover someone and Lydia's the perfect first client." Julie sequels in excitement. 

"No, no i'm fin-" I try to say it again but this time dad cuts me off.

"You're going honey, it's almost back to school and you need new clothes that are you're size. Here's 80$. Spend it wisely and have fun." Dad hands me the 80$ and before I could say goodbye Julie grabs my arm and drags me out the door into her white Chevy making sure my pants don't fall.

20 minutes later we arrived at the mall parking lot.

"So where should we meet up?" I say as I get out of the car