Chapter 7

"What if I don't wake up?" I whisper to the nurse wearing a Minnie Mouse scrub.

"The chance of death is one in a billion Lydia, you'll be fine." Ashton was flipping through a pamphlet that the nurse gave us at the front desk.

Today was the big day. The day everything was going to change. I was ready for a new me but I wasn't ready for the actual operation. I was in the hospital because the nurses were doing things to my body to get me ready. The nurse in the Minnie Mouse scrub wraps a rubber band around my arm. The fat in my arm giggles and I could see the disgust in her eyes. Or was it pity? I can't even tell anymore. She keeps pressing her thumb along my arm trying to find a good place.

"It was would be so much easier without all this fat." Skinny says filling me in on the nurses thoughts.

"This should be good." She said while she smiles grabbing the needle. I've never really been one of those people that were afraid of shots or needles, so this was easy for me.

"Do you want me to count down or go right in?" She asks.

"Just go right in." I responded nervously. She sticks the needle right in my arm. She pushes it deeper until she's past all the fat.

After that were a bunch of other procedures I did not enjoy, she handed me a big hospital type dress that people wear when they can't wear their clothes. She made sure to get me the extra large one.

"I'll go outside while you change, just lock the door and put it on. I'll be back in a bit." She left the room closing the door behind her.

"Uh-hum" I crossed my arms on my chest and tapped my foot while I looked at Ashton making him look up from the pamphlet.

"Oh oh right sorry." Ashton's cheeks turned into a faint red tinted color.

After he left I got out of my baggy sweatpants and way oversized sweater and put on the uncomfortable blue dress thing.

"Lydia, hun are you finished changing?" My dad knocked on the door.

"Yeah hold on I'll come open it." My dad came in and grabbed a chair and put it right next to my hospital bed.

"Today's the big day. You know it's not to late to back out right?"

"I know dad but I came way to late to back out now. I'm doing this." I said it with a lot of confidence but on the inside I was really nervous, but every word I said was true. I am definitely not backing out now.

"Okay sweetie but just remember that surgery or not I love you so much." He embraced me into a hug.

"I love you too dad."

"He's embarrassed to have you as a daughter." I guess Skinny's awake. Maybe she'll die during the surgery.

"I wished she was here right now." He said while looking at the floor.

"Who?" I said. But I knew exactly who he was talking about. He hasn't talked about her in such a long time. I wanted to hear him say it.

"Your mother."

"Oh." I frowned.

"She would have known exactly what to say to you right now, she was always good at that." I could see tears forming on the brim of his eyes.

"I wish she was here right now too."

The doors open as I saw Ashtons head pop in. "Can I come in?"

"Sure you can Irwin. Thanks for taking care of Lydia these past few days. Our family really owes you." My dad says as he stands up from the chair.

"It's really no problem Mr.Farell. Lydia's really good company anyways." He looked at me and smiled.