Chapter 6

Even though it wasn't happening yet I was still really really nervous. The surgery was scheduled three weeks before summer vacation. I would have preferred if it was done during summer vacation so I could come back to senior as a new me, new attitude and body. But no, apparently I had to do the surgery on their time.

Since my grades were pretty high I was able to get out of a lot of things. My average was high enough to get out of final projects and other school stuff. My teachers were okay with my absence especially with my medical issues. The only teacher I had left to talk to was Mr. Tutwiler. So I waited a few minutes after the bell on Wednesday. I leaned against wall while I waited for him to finish with Kaityn Adams. She asked him a question about the test next week.

"Hey, are you next?" I felt a tap on my shoulder, but I recognized that voice. I turned around almost instantly.

"Uh hey, yeah I am but you can go in front of me if you want. I'm not in a hurry." I say trying not to stutter because I was amazed that he actually spoke to me.

"Thanks. I just have a quick question about number five on the homework. I have practice after school and the coach will kill me if I'm late." Luke said while he tapped his pencil against his homework packet.

Maybe I could make him remember about our past.

"So nothing's changed." I said.

"What?" He asked confused.

"You were always the last one to show up for everything...when we were little." My voice faded at the end.

Please. Remember.

"Oh yeah I guess." He said sounding unsure.

"What is she talking about?" Skinny says filling in Luke's thoughts about me. It hurts but I wasn't going to give up. I am going to make him remember me.

I kept thinking about another memory I could talk to him about, another one that would make him remember. He turned around facing the teachers desk as I kept thinking. Suddenly I remembered about his love for playing guitar.

"Do you still play guitar?" I asked him.

Please. Remember. Me.

"What?" He asked again.

"You used to play guitar all the time, a lot. You even taught me how a little bit." I nervously laughed and my voice faded because I didn't really want him to hear the last part.

"Oh, uh not a lot anymore. I'm pretty busy with football and with school and stuff."

Y"ou wouldn't know the feeling. You just sit in your room all day eating your feelings." Skinny said.

It was his turn to go up and suddenly I regretted everything I said to him. Maybe he completely erased the memories of us together. I thought we had something special but I guess I was wrong. He was talking to Mr. Tutwiler and all I could focus on was his piercing blue eyes. The same blue eyes that was crying when we were eight years old because he fell off his skateboard. The same blue eyes that lit up when he got his first guitar. The blue eyes I stared into while we shared our first kiss. But now it was the same blue eyes that pity me. After about five minutes of them talking they were finished and he ran outside of the classroom. I guess he was late for practice. He was probably going to get some shit from his coach. It was my turn and I talked to him about my absence. He was okay with it and he just gave me the list of homework I had to do while I wasn't in school. After I walked outside to meet Ashton because I asked him to wait for me. I spotted Ashton and got into his car so he could take me home. While we were driving home we drove past Luke's house and memories suddenly flooded into my head.

4 years ago

"Lydia hun wake up time for school." My mom said in a hush tone. It was four years ago and Luke and I were both thirteen. This was before my mom died. This was the first snow day of the year and even better school was canceled.

"I'm up." I said doing my morning stretch while yawning.

"I'm just kidding theirs no school. It's snowing! But I did wake you up because Luke's coming by in an hour so you guys can play in the snow." She said. My face lit up and I practically jumped off my bed. I was filled with excitement. I ran into the bathroom to wash my face. After I went through my drawers to find a pair of jeans and sweater and jackets. I put on one of Luke's beanie on my long brown hair. Luke let me keep it. I then put beige colored infinity scarf around my neck. Then I put on knitted knee high socks and my black combat boots. I finished right in time because then the doorbell rang and I knew it was Luke. I ran down the stairs almost tripping to let Luke in. Luke came into the living room wearing layers after layers.

"Are you wearing my beanie?" He asked looking at my head.

"Maybe." I teased him. 

We started heading outside the door when my mother suddenly popped outside from the kitchen. "Ah not so fast young lady."

"Yes mom?" I said sounding annoyed at her for stopping us.

"Scarf?" she asked.
"Check."

"Gloves?"
"Check."

"Headwear?"
"Check."

"Jacket?"
"Check."

"Boots."
"Check."

"You are now free to go. Just be back before four."

"Thanks, I will. Bye mum!"

He walked down the street to Luke's house and we went to his backyard. We made snow angles and we built a snowman. I decided to throw a snowball at him while he was so concentrated on his snowman.

"You did not." He said in his thick Australian accent. Before I could answer he was already running towards me and a snowball in his hands. I ran as fast as I could he grabbed me by my waist and stopped me.

"No let me go." I whined.

"Not unless I get my revenge." He said while still holding me by the waist. I turned around and I since our height difference I looked up at him and he looked down on me. I stared into his blue eyes and he stared into my green ones. It was quite awkward since we were so young but it also felt kind of nice. He started leaning in and so did I. His lips were ontop of mine and I didn't mine. My cold body suddenly began warm. For the first time I didn't think about anything. I felt as if it was only Luke and I on the planet. I could feel him smile through the kiss. We then pulled away and we both smiled. He then hugged me and I hugged back. We just looked up and watched the snowflakes fall on us.

"Lydia. Lydia." Ashton was waving his hands infront of my face snapping me out of my daydream.

"Yeah?" I said while wiping a tear of my cheek that didn't even know fell.

"We're here. Are you crying ?" He asked sounding concern.

"N-no I wasn't." I said hiding the pain in my voice.

"Come here." Ashton said. Before I could protest he took me and now my arms were wrapped around his waist and my head was buried in his chest. I started crying and I didn't even know why. Maybe it was one of those things where you cry for one reason and then you start crying for a bunch of other reasons. After about two minutes of crying into his chest I got up.

"I'm sorry, I got your shirt wet." I said trying to wipe of the tear stains off his nirvana shirt.

"It's fine. Are you okay?" He asked.

"Yeah, thanks for the ride home and I'm sorry again." I said while getting out of the car.

"No problem." He said while giving one his famous Ashton Irwin smiles. And he drove off.

I'm glad that he didn't ask me why I was crying. He just wanted to know if I was okay. I'm glad that I have him in my life.

↠☓↠☓↠☓↠☓↠☓↠☓↠☓↠☓↠☓↠

will luke remember her after the surgery ?

thx for reading ily xx