Chapter Five - Under the Weather

I sat curled up on the sofa in my study room, reading a book I'd borrowed from the library when Mum walked in. I raised an eyebrow at her as she leaned against the wall opposite me, still in her work suit.

          "Do me a favour, will you sweetheart?" she asked, smiling persuasively.

          "It depends on what it is," I replied, putting my finger in the middle of the book so as not to lose my page.

          "Well, Jack's made dinner reservations for tonight, but Drew's feeling sick. He's been unwell for a few days now, and Jack doesn't want to leave him on his own, so I thought maybe you could nip over and keep him company?" Mum suggested, looking hopefully at me.

          "Why can't you just go some other time?" I asked, hedging. What on earth would I do at Jack and Drew's place for hours as Mum and Jack went out?

          "We would, but we've been on the waiting list for months as it is, Ellie."

          "Then just go. Drew isn't a little kid, I'm sure he'll be fine for a few hours by himself. Besides, I don't wanna catch whatever it is he's carrying," I told her, making a face. It would be stupid for me to go and babysit him.

          "Okay, Ellie. I just thought that you could take this time to get to know Drew better. The two of you should hang out." Mum sighed exasperatedly. Ah, so it was just a ploy. Mum's way of pushing us into some quality get-to-know-you time. "Besides, no one likes being by themselves while they're poorly, and from what I understand Drew's been bored out of his mind these past few days," she added. Damn, now she'd turned it into a moral dilemma.

          "I'm not going," I told her, decisively. "I'm not," I repeated, when she shot me a look.

--

         "So..." I trailed off, taking in Drew's room. I'd given in, after Mum wouldn't stop nagging and going on about how Drew and I should be friends. She'd worn me down and made me feel guilty. She was a lawyer after all.

         "You can just leave, I won't say anything to Dad or Moira," Drew suddenly said, or well croaked. My eyes involuntary went to him. He looked awful. He was really pale, and there were dark circles under his eyes.

         "No, that's okay," I reassured, smiling and making myself comfortable on his king-sized bed. He turned and looked at me strangely as I settled down next to him. Yikes, I was on top of the covers, it wasn't like I was suddenly going to grope him or anything. "How do you feel?" I asked trying to start a conversation. "Don't answer that! Stupid question, of course you feel like crap," I rushed, making a face at the stupid question.

         His cheeks were flushed and I'm pretty sure he had a fever from the slight sheen of sweat on his face and chest. Yeah, his chest. He was shirtless and dare I admit it, the view was good. Very good. I wasn't going to lie to myself. He was attractive. Very attractive... I just wished he wasn't.

         Yeah, he had a fever all right, I thought as I put the back of my hand on his forehead without thinking. "Man, you're hot," I blurted, and then blinked at the not-so-subtle innuendo I'd unintentionally let slip into my voice. I looked at Drew and from the redness on his cheeks that was suddenly there, I could tell he'd understood what I'd accidently implied.

         "Thanks," he said, his lips upturning in the corners into a small smile. I could see the amusement shine in his blue and green eyes, and felt a little pleased knowing I'd put it there.

         "Don't flatter yourself," I scoffed, rolling my eyes and shifting so I was on my elbow. I looked down at Drew. The small flutters in my stomach at Drew's smile were highly uncomfortable. "You know what I meant."