Hours 17 - 18

11:30 p.m.

Jason's POV

Jaelyn starts having a really violent coughing fit and I go to help her, but she motions for me to stay where I am. I'm worried about her, but I don't know how to help her. When her coughing ceases, she stands upright again. Moments later she starts loosing her balence, like she did when we got out of the car, but this time she collapses.

I rush over and catch her before she falls too far. "Jaelyn," I say," Jaelyn, wake up." She doesn't respond at all. I pick her up bridal style and walk quickly to the car, careful not to drop her or bump into anyone. I need to get her to the hospital.

I set her down in the car and get in the driver's seat. I drive to the hospital, running a red light or two on the way there to get there faster. Luckily, no one is on the road over here.

We get to the hospital and I take her to the emergency room. "Oh my," the nurse exclaims," What happened?" "We were at the pier and she had a coughing fit, then blacked out," I say. "Okay, set her on here," the nurse says and pulls a stretcher over.

I do what she said and another nurse takes her to an exam room. "Can I. . .," I trail off and the nurse shakes her head. "I'm afraid not, hun. What's your name," she asks. "Jason Taylor," I answer. "Okay, Jason, fill this out and wait here. The doctor or I will come out with news about her as soon as we can," she says.

She hands me a clipboard with some papers to fill out and a pen. I nod and take the items. I sit in a chair in the waiting room and start filling in the blanks for things like her name, age, birthday, ect.

I give them to the nurse when I'm done and my phone suddenly rings. I walk outside since the reception inside the hospital is awful and answer my phone. "Hello," I say.

"Jason! Is Jaelyn with you still?"

I recognize that voice. It's Jaelyn's mom. Shit. "Not exactly," I say. "W-what do you mean," she asks," Where are you?" "The hospital," I answer. I hear her mom gasp and it sounds like she dropped the phone.

"Hello? Mrs. Elliot, are you still there," I ask. "Jason, it's Jae's dad. Why are you at the hospital," he asks. "We were at pier 39 and she started having a coughing fit. Then she passed out," I explain and he sighs.

"Son, do you know what's going on with her or did she not tell you," he asks. "Please don't tell me-," I stop mid sentence because the nurse comes out and motions for me to go back inside. "I'm sorry, I have to go. I think the nurse needs to tell me something," I say. "Alright. And Jason, please make her happy," he says. "Always," I reply, then I hang up.

I go back inside the hospital. I see a doctor and the nurse from earlier, so I approach them. "Do you have news about Jaelyn? Is she okay," I ask, feeling a little frantic. The doctor looks at me sadly.

"Don't tell me she's-," the doctor cuts me off. "No, she's not. She's conscious, but there's nothing I can do for her. It'll be a miracle if she makes it to eight a.m.," she says. "I want to see her," I say. "Jason," the nurse says. "Please," I beg," Her dad asked me to make her happy and I want to be with her. I love her and I want to be with her for whatever time she's got left. Just please let me see her."

The doctor sighs, but the nurse looks at me with a small, sad smile. She looks at the doctor and the docter nods a little. "Come on, Jason. I'll take you to her room," she says. "Thank you," I say and follow her to Jaelyn's room.