A Fantasy

~ Jiyeon's POV ~

Looking around for Jimin for what felt like forever, I finally spotted him come down the stairs that led up to the rooftop.

My face instantly lighting up, I attempted to call his name, until I suddenly froze at the small figure next to him who he had his hand intertwined with.

Hyerin.

The two of them were genuinely smiling at each other, their cheeks flushed and their eyes sparkling with utter adoration.

They loved each other.

Not the kind of "love" two close friends shared, but the kind of "love" that a girl and a boy with affectionate, mutual feelings shared.

Although I knew it along, it still hurt like fucking hell.

... Why?

What did I do wrong?

Was I not good enough for him?

Grievously clenching my fists in great dejection, I furiously gritted my teeth as I approached Jimin and Hyerin.

As soon as the two of them noticed me, they hurriedly unlocked their hands and hastily hid it behind their back, looking at me with nothing but fear and anxiety visible in their eyes.

"J-Jiyeon..." Hyerin reluctantly muttered, obviously scared that I had caught them in their malicious act full of utter betrayal.

"You fucking betrayer." I furiously stated as I raised my hand at her, giving her a hard slap on her right cheek.

"Hyerin!" Jimin anxiously shouted as he immediately caught her, looking at the love of his life in great worry.

He obviously cared about her more than me, since he never really loved me in the first place.

Holding onto her right cheek, Hyerin slowly turned her face to look at me, still not uttering a single word from her mouth.

"What happened to our fucking promise? Was that all just a cover-up just so you can steal Jimin away from me?" I asked her, only to receive a shake of her head in return.

"N-No of course not!" She eagerly denied, her eyes beginning to water from her tears.

"Then tell me, do you have feelings for him?" I asked, grievously clenching my fists as I furrowed my eyebrows, never shifting my eyes away from hers.

Her mouth opened to speak up, but not a single word came out of it.

I scoffed in disbelief at her hesitation. 

"I trusted you Hyerin, I really did. But you just went on and broke our promise, along with our friendship." I stated, trying my very best to hold back my useless tears that were attempting to fall just for this good-for-nothing deceiver. 

"J-Jiyeon..." Hyerin dejectedly muttered as she attempted to hold my hand, but I forcefully took my hand away from hers.

"It was nice knowing you two." I weakly muttered as I forced a smile at them, hurriedly turning around as I ran away.

Reaching the hallway where no one was around, I grievously leaned my back onto the wall and let my tears flow.

Palming my face with my hands, I continued to cry my heart out without a single friend to comfort me.

I've lost my most precious best friend, including my boyfriend who I gave all I had.

Suddenly, I heard the sound of footsteps gradually approaching me, stopping right in front of me.

"Jiyeon."

Immediately recognizing his voice, I slowly uncovered my face and looked at him.

"J-Jimin..."

He silently stared at me with his cold eyes, piercing right through my broken heart and shattering it.

"I should've told you sooner, but I like Hyerin, not you." He calmly stated, stabbing my heart even more with his ruthless, brutal words.

Everything I wanted him to tell me.

"She isn't someone you have to worry about."

"I can't imagine a life without you."

"You deserve better."

"Come closer."

"I love you."

"I promise."

It was all just a selfish desire, a dream, that was never to come true.

"And that's why I'm breaking up with you. I'm sorry for lying to you Jiyeon, I really am." Jimin apologetically said, as if he didn't give a single shit about the great torment and agony he had caused me.

"W-When did you stop caring?" I dejectedly asked, earnestly hoping he cared for me at least once in his lifetime.

He let out a small scoff, his cold, afflictive expression showing it all.

"When did you start noticing?"

No, please don't say that.

At least pretend you actually had feelings for me.

It fucking hurts less.

Although I knew I was just going to be even more heartbroken, I wanted to ask him one last question. 

It was a question I had worn on my lips for days—like a loose thread on my favorite sweater I couldn't resist pulling—despite knowing it could all ravel around me.  

Gathering up my courage, I tightly clenched my fists, letting the question that I've been too fearful to ask escape from my mouth.

"Jimin, did you ever love me?" 

He froze from my sudden question, reluctantly biting his lower lip as he shifted his gaze away form mine. 

In his hesitation, I found my answer.

I knew it all along. 

He purposely fooled me, manipulated me, and utilized me for his own sake of attempting to get over his one and only love, Kim Hyerin. 

But unluckily, he met her again, falling right back into her heart. 

I was simply living in a magnificent illusion, a beautiful lie, completely lost in a fantasy that Jimin actually loved me. 

Weakly smiling at the ground, I bitterly forced myself to look at the love of my life one last time. 

"Goodbye, Park Jimin." 

And with that, I left.