Chapter Eleven

As they were having an enjoyable breakfast, Priscilla asked, "Momma, can I spend the night over Natalie's house? She just sent me a text."

Kendall smiled. "We'll talk about that later, honey. We're enjoying breakfast with the family."

"But I have to let her know so we can make plans." Priscilla pouted while folding her arms.

Grey spoke with authority. "You will get an answer later. Finish your breakfast."

"At least you get to go to sleep overs. My momma doesn't let me go anywhere." Mariposa frowned while texting. Her eyes never left her phone.

Her brother laughed. "Be happy you have a cellphone, you're always texting."

She stuck out her tongue. "You have an Xbox. Be happy about that."

"Enough! Do you want Uncle Colin to think we don't have table manners?" Brody put down his fork and stared at his children. Mari gulped.

Sheila touched his arm and addressed both of their children. "I think you two should worry about eating and being nice to each other."

"Welcome to Sunday breakfast," Aunt Ava sang out cheerfully.

"I love it. Shayne and I teased each other all the time growing up. It's what siblings do." Colin winked. He received relieved parents' expressions and smiles from the kids.

Kendall, Sheila, and Andrea started asking questions about England. They all love historical fiction books and were fascinated. She was able to tell them about where she was from in England and about modern-day London. It was quite different from their books. Everyone enjoyed having Bianca there for breakfast. Colin seemed happiest of all.

*****

Colin gave her hand a squeeze. "Let's go for a walk and get some fresh air. Maybe we can go to the stables to see the horses. I'm supposed to name my horse. Would you like to help me?"

"That sounds like a wonderful idea. I miss riding at our estate in England," she sighed.

"You lived in an estate in England?" Sheila asked.

"Yes, an earl and his family lived there before my father purchased the property." Bianca shared. All of the women's mouths dropped open. That was a news flash they were thrilled to hear. Bianca became a person of interest after that disclosure.

"Can I ask a question before you two walk to the stables?" Andrea raised her hand.

"Sure." Bianca directed her gaze toward her.

"Is your estate located in the country?"

Bianca smiled. "Yes it is." She stood from her chair.

"We'll be back. Thank you for breakfast, Aunt Ava." Colin stood and took Bianca by her hand. "Miss Thatcher will not be taking any more questions at this time." He acted like her spokesman. He figured he had better rescue her, while it was still daylight.

He was surprised his cousins hadn't told their wives that information about Bianca. She had lived in Dallas for ten years and they were just hearing this news. The more he considered the situation, the more he realized why they had left those details out. He had to chuckle to himself. He was sure they would get an earful for not mentioning Bianca living in an English estate that had been owned by an earl.

He was enjoying getting to know his family, but he was really an introvert at heart. After last night's dinner party and breakfast this morning, he needed some quiet. With Bianca, he felt at ease and comfortable. His life seemed complicated these days—he needed someone he could confide in. He needed a friend. She happened to be a beautiful young woman, but he told himself that didn't matter. She was his first friend who happened to be a girl.

He had to laugh. That was what boys used to say in school: "She's not my girlfriend. She's a girl who is my friend." He hadn't realized he laughed out loud.

"Would you care to share the joke?" Bianca nudged him in the side.

"It was a statement a friend made that I found funny. Do you ever laugh at things most people wouldn't find funny?" he asked without letting her know what he was laughing at.

She slowed her footsteps and squinted at him. "Are you avoiding my question? That is funny," she answered him, letting him know she was onto him.

He found he liked this particular girl as his friend. She was lighthearted, kind, considerate, not after his money, and she was beautiful. Why he kept making that observation, he wouldn't admit to himself. But he was happy to have made a friend in Dallas. He missed his brother, Shayne, and was looking forward to him arriving. In the meantime, he looked forward to spending time getting to know Bianca.

*****

They walked in silence to the stables. There was a nice breeze blowing. It felt great against Bianca's face. She thought about how intuitive and caring Colin is. She lost her footing and he caught her from falling. "There is uneven ground out here, watch your step." He noted with consideration.

The day was absolutely picturesque—birdsong filled the air. The trees were like giant skyscrapers and the leaves bowed to the breeze. His strong grip catching her was a nice surprise. She didn't want him to let go. That was so unlike her. She felt her forehead with the back of her hand. No fever. . .just Colin, she laughed quietly.

Colin was trying to get her attention. "I didn't mean to startle you. What's so funny?" She glanced at him sideways with her hand over her eyes, blocking the sun.

"It was nothing important." She answered.

"Were you wool gathering again?" Colin's eyes lit up animatedly. He thought that was such a funny expression.

"Yes, wool gathering is a very old English expression for being lost in thought." She defined.

She pushed him and she felt butterflies. She couldn't believe that a man like him existed in this modern day. She could have swooned, with the look he gave her.

Carrington Ranch was massive and beautiful. Lots of open land with green pastures, cattle, and sheep grazing. It was the envy of most landowners in Dallas. The pasture land was such a vivid crayon green, like a thick lush carpet. There was lots of activity, with the ranch hands busy at work.

They reached the stables, and her eyes grew big. The Carringtons owned the most beautiful horses she had ever seen. They had a variety of thoroughbred horses.

"Excited?" Colin teased her when he saw how thrilled she was. She was extremely fond of horses and hadn't been able to go riding in years. She had beautiful horses back in England.

"Now, I'm excited about choosing a horse with you here. Seeing your enthusiasm is contagious."
Colin walked over to look at the horses.

~Votes and Comments Appreciated~