2 |August| 2

Chapter Two

     The bell rings and another one won't ring until six minutes pass making those students aware that the second bell should not be heard while still being outside class.
     Bethany finds Greg during the first minute of bell one. They talk about how boring the class is and how 'tired' they were even if they weren't. They were just lazy but, Greg envied Bethany since her next class is Intermediate choir. The pass time class.
     Intermediate choir is a class that is placed above beginning men and women choir. It is those who did not make through the advanced class so these singers are classified as intermediate. Which made Bethany question why since she is in the advanced choir called Madrigals.
     She checks the time, one minute left until bell two rings but, does not care. Her excuse is that she got 'lost' and completely forgot the location of the classroom number. The bell rings but, her pace does not quicken, in fact, she is on her phone texting. Whilst others walk faster or run to be not being late.
     One minute late, she pulls they heavy black door of MU1. Which 'MU' stands for music. It is located at the corner of the building just across from the student snack bar. It's farthest class in the school almost making it convenient to have the snack bar far so students can walk for it. Bethany laughs thinking about it when she enters the large choir room.
     "Oh shit," she whispers.
Mr. Jeon is talking but does not stop when he sees Bethany enter his classroom. Students sat from men on the left and women on the right like he instructed as they entered. Their eyes stare at Bethany making her suddenly regrets coming into class late.

"Bethany, please take a seat anywhere for now." Mr. Jeon points at the women side of the room. "And welcome back!"

She awkwardly takes her seat and listens to her choir teacher, Mr. Jeon speak.

As the class comes to an end, Mr. Jeon gets a stack of papers and splits the chunk apart. "Now, here is a schedule of events you all must attend in this year. Missing an event is 30% of your grade and to make up for it will consist of writing a six page paper of a composer of your choice that will only be 10%. I expect everyone to attend." The bell rings as he spoke through the last sentence.

Students shoved the paper into their backpacks and quickly left the class. Bethany took her binder and neatly put it in. She then walked over to Mr. Jeon who already talking to a student. "Hold on," he politely says, "Beth I'll be right with you."

     She waits as they finish up their conversation about the schedule. Students enter the class while laughing as they carry their breakfast inside. They sit in a table at the corner which made Bethany wonder why they even want to hang inside the classroom.

"Beth!"

     She jumps as her name was called, making Mr. Jeon laugh at her reaction.

"Did I scare you?" He laughs.

     Beth laughs with him and grabs her chubby cheek to hide some embarrassment. "It's a natural instinct, I guess" she speaks shyly without looking into his eyes.

"I have a cousin who does the same actually. When I touch her shoulder from behind it's like she saw a jump scare video." Mr. Jeon explains while actively using his hands as he spoke. He notices her cheeks turn red from embarrassment. "So, what's your question?" He thought maybe if he kept it short his student might feel relaxed and not think about what just happened.

"Well," she says timidly, "it's just I am not sure why I am in Intermediate and Madrigals?"

     Mr. Jeon snaps his fingers, "Ah! That's right!" He leans on the white board and explains, "the reason for that is since you have a good voice it would be helpful if you were in this class. So, I was being selfish in my part for not asking for your permission. But Beth it will be good for the class and for your section. You do understand right?"

     Bethany giggles while staring up at her teacher, "clever" she tells him

     Bethany giggles while staring up at her teacher, "clever" she tells him. He feels proud of his explanation and smiles from cheek to cheek at her compliment. "How can I say no if you put it that way," she flips her hair confidently but laughs right after.

Suddenly she did not feel shy anymore, Mr. Jeon is still the same from last year when I was in beginning choir. He is goofy and entertaining. He is one good teacher.