42. The One Causing All The Trouble

Start from the beginning

"Vervain ropes?!" I called to no one in particular. "Dick move!"

The door opened and Damon and Stefan entered, Klaus following behind them.

"You know what was a dick move?!" Damon asked me angrily. "Turning Elena!" He punched me in the face, sending my head ricocheting back. I felt blood in my mouth.

"So you found out?" I asked, spitting blood.

Damon stabbed me in the leg with a stake, causing me to cry out in pain.

"That's enough," Klaus said.

"No it's not," Damon said, turning to me. "Do you have any idea what she's going through?!"

"Actually yeah, I do. You did the same thing to me, remember?" I smirked.

He pulled the stake out of my leg roughly, waiting for it to start to heal before he pushed it back in again. The pain was unbearable.

"Why do you care so much?" I asked, breathing heavily. "You do realize she's Stefan's girlfriend, not yours?"

"Is that why you did it?" Stefan asked, speaking up for the first time. "To hurt me?"

"I wanted you to leave me alone," I told him. "I'm not turning my humanity on, and I'm not coming back here."

"Are you that far gone?" Stefan asked, kneeling so that he was at my eye level.

"Yeah," I said. "For the first time in my life, I was doing what a vampire should do. I was happy."

"Serena, I know you think you were happier. But I know what it's like to live with no humanity. That wasn't happiness, it was nothingness. And I get it, ignoring your feelings is easier than dealing with them."

"You have no idea how it felt," I told him. "I had nothing. You betrayed me."

"I know I did," he said. "And I will never be able to get across how sorry I am, I'll never be able to make it up to you. But I can't even begin to try if you don't care."

"I say we kill her," Damon cut in, still angry. "She killed Elena, fair is fair."

He took a step towards me, another stake in his hand. But before he could reach me, Klaus stepped in front of him.

"Put it down mate," he said.

"Make me," Damon said menacingly, squaring up to Klaus.

Stefan stood between them, pushing them apart. "This isn't helping," he said, before facing Damon. "You're not gonna kill our sister."

"Am I the only one who actually cares about Elena?!" Damon hissed. "You know, the girl who's just had her entire life snatched away from her!"

"And you think Serena hasn't?" Klaus asked. "Unless finding out that a demon has control of her life just isn't a big deal to you?"

Stefan froze, before turning back to me.

"The demon. That's the reason you won't turn it back on, isn't it?" he asked. "You're worried about being controlled."

"You said it yourself," I said dryly. "It's an impossible life."

"But you're not alone," he said. "You have us."

"I don't need you," I spat, but even I knew that my resolve was wavering.

"Turn it back on," he said softly. "Let us help you."

The softness in his eyes threw me. I'd just turned his girlfriend into a vampire, I'd just destroyed her life. How could he still look at me like that? How could he still love me?

I looked at Klaus and Damon, and even though Damon was angry at me, I saw the same thing. They loved me.

"I can't," I whispered. "I can't be controlled."

"You need to come to terms with it," he said. "Yes, this thing exists. But you can't ignore it. Confront it, let it in. Then you'll be able to let it go."

I sighed and bit my lip, trying to keep the tears in. My humanity was back, and it was almost impossible to push it away.

"This isn't working," Damon said abruptly. "Plan B."

"Bad idea," Klaus said under his breath.

He opened the door, pulling someone into the room. I blinked away the tears and felt a part of my hard exterior come back. I was angry.

"Serena."

"Steve."

************************************************

Thanks so much for reading!

Should they have brought Steve back?

Vote and comment if you liked this chapter!