Tommy's Lullaby

Description:

“Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if Tommy was still here. I thought of how proud I would be if I got to see him graduate. I imagined him walking down the aisle at my wedding because he would be the best man. Eventually my imagination had to stop at one point, because Tommy wasn’t here. And he would never be here again.” – There was one thing that Marilee Richards loved more than playing the piano, and that was her younger brother Tommy. At only five years old, he already endured more hospital visits than the average person. He had an incurable illness. In this journey called life, terrible things happen. What if there was someone who could help Marilee through it though? Read along and view things from Marilee’s perspective as she experiences tragedy, love, and all the other things that typical people go through. In the midst of this, can Tommy teach Marilee what music truly is about? As Tommy says, “Life is like a song, or rather a lullaby.”

Prologue:

My heart raced as I heard my mother yell for me upstairs.

“Marilee! Bring the bucket!” Her frantic voice yelled.

I knew what bucket she was talking about. I groaned and grabbed it off of the coffee table and ran upstairs. I ran into my little brother’s room, where he was hunched over the bed. I set it down to the side of his bed just as he hurled. My eyes were filled to the brim with tears as I forced myself to look away from him.

“Lee-lee,” He cried.

I sat on the side of his bed. “What, pumpkin?”

“Will you play for me?”

I immediately knew what he was asking me for. I picked him up carefully from his bed and my mother got his bucket and we walked downstairs together. I insisted on carrying him, but he was being so stubborn and demanded that he needed to walk. His little hand was clutching mine as he tried not to fall over each step.

“Be careful, Tommy,” I warned him.

“I am being careful, Lee-lee!” He said.

I hated that nickname and everyone knew it, but I had a soft spot for my little brother. I saw my mother’s eyes glaze over with tears as she saw my brother and I interact. I smiled a little at her even though I was hurting inside. Everyone was. Once we reached the living room where my grand piano that I received for my thirteenth birthday four years ago sat, Tommy’s hand jerked out of mine as he sat on the stool.

I sat beside him and observed his actions. He looked up at me and smiled brightly. Oh, how I would miss his smile. His bright blue eyes stared into my own. I felt a lump form in my throat.

“Tommy, how come you never wanted me to teach you to play the piano? You love it so much,” I asked.

“I only love the piano when you play it, Lee-lee! No one can play it like you,” Tommy said.

Tears fell down my cheeks, and Tommy’s little hands wiped them away.

“Why are you cryin’, Lee-lee?” He asked.

“Because I just love you so much,” I said.

“I love you more than anyone in the whole world!” Tommy said.

“And I love you more than anyone in the whole world, pumpkin,” I told him.

“Why do you call me pumpkin, Lee-lee? I don’t look like a pumpkin!” He laughed.

“Because you call me Lee-lee,” I said.

Tommy nodded as if he understood completely. I smiled.

“Play it for me, Lee-lee!” Tommy giggled.

“What song?” I asked, even though I already knew the answer.

“My song,” He said, pointing to himself.

“Okay, pumpkin,” I said.

I placed my fingers on the keys and played it from memory. The sheet music was in Tommy’s room, framed and on the wall. He was so proud of it. I let my fingers flow through the music and watched Tommy’s face as he smiled. Once the piece came to an end, he clapped.

“How was it?” I asked him.

“Even better than the time before!” He answered.

I played it for him yesterday as well. According to him, it kept getting better and better. I smiled to myself. That was the only piece that I was truly proud of. It was the only one that I composed all by myself, and it was all for Tommy. It also didn’t have a name. I always asked my little brother what he wanted me to name it, and he would always tell me, “You’ll know what to name it when the time is perfect, Lee-lee.”

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

PLEASE let me know what you think of this. :)

If it gets negative feedback, then I'll probably take it down, but if everyone likes it, then I'll continue it. :)

Please vote/comment. Thank you :)

Love, RelentlessChaos <3