Chapter 9 - Learning the Way of a Pro

I am very much surprised by what he says he will do to me. We barely know each other! Hell, I don't even know who he truly is. Taking up his offer would be wrong.

"I'm delighted by your offer, but I can't-"

"Rule number one; don't talk so properly. It's not hip-hop dancer-y." The boy says with a sly smile, as if knowing everything about the art of dance. His confidence is both annoying and amazing... I wish I had as much pride in myself as him. 

"Rule number two! Hip-hop, like any dance genre, is a form of expression. It's free and fun, but also controlled." He goes on, but I'm unsure of what he means. "What do you mean? You just completely contradicted yourself!" I talk to him like a stern mother, when I don't mean to. He smiles, ready to give me a explanation. 

"Most people see it as something that is easy, dancing the genre just being upbeat and fun, when it's so much more. You need to enjoy it and be free, but your movements reflect your dedication to your skill. If you're loose and uncontrolled, your body shows that you don't care too much. However, if your movement is sharp and lacks a resemblance to a noodle, people will know how much you truly love what you're doing!" He speaks loudly and proudly with no shame. He truly is free, unlike me or the other ballet dancers who feel confined. I hate to admit it, but his advice is valuable.

"I see what you mean! It's like ballet. You need to be tight with your movements so it looks right." I say, smiling along with him. Maybe he's not so bad after all.

"What do you know about ballet?" His face nears mine, our eyes only a few inches away. My face warms up and I can feel the blush paint my cheeks a rosy red. "Oh, n-nothing! I was just making a comparison," I try to cover it up, but I'm not sure I did too well...

"Oh, don't bend backwards. I'm just pulling your tail," he laughs, bringing his face away from me. He begins to walk away, with no warning. "Where are you going?' I yell out to him, and he turns around. He slowly walks back. When he reaches me, he goes down on one knee, grabbing my left hand.

"Well, my lady, this kitty has duties he must take care of. Meet me here, Friday night. I will teach everything you need to know." After saying this, he kissed my hand, quickly running off like a child. If not already bad, the blush on my cheeks darken to a deep red. I begin walking back to the club, when I remember something very important.

ALYA! I completely left her alone in the club! I mean, I guess she has Nino, but abandoning your best friend can't be redeemed. I pull out my phone, and I see twenty missed calls from Alya and Nino. A worried sigh escapes my lips, and I begin to call the girl back.

"MARI! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!!?" She screams through the phone, almost breaking my ear drum it seems. "I'm so sorry, Alya... I... lost my phone in the bathroom and have been looking for it. I couldn't find you in the club... but I found it!" I lie to her. Not telling the truth feels terrible, but I can't let her know I was the newbie who took a catastrophic loss to a boy dressed as a cat. It would be so embarrassing...

"Well I'm still here, girl, but I need to be home in 10 minutes or my folks will kill me. Hurry up!" She speaks to me like she's my mother, and I find it comedic. I know for a fact I won't be ready soon, so I just tell her to go without me. "Are you sure, girl? These areas can be scary at night. I don't feel good with letting you be alone." Alya sounds worried now, so I agree to stay on the phone with her until I'm home. What did I do to deserve such a wonderful best friend?

Luckily, on my way home, I don't encounter any inconvenient guests. I say my goodbye to Alya and hang up the phone. I enter the door to my house, but I get up to my house so quickly my parents aren't even able to see my attire. "Hi, mom. Hi, dad." I say quickly as I rush up the stairs. "Hi, sweetheart..." I hear them say confused, but I don't think they thought too much of it.

I enter my room and immediately fling myself onto my bed without a second thought. I'm exhausted. My eyes slowly begin to close and it becomes a battle just to keep my eyes open. I finally surrender and give in to my tiredness, falling asleep before I can even begin to change.

The Next Day...

I wake up the next day to my annoying alarm letting me know that it's time to get ready for ballet practice, and I almost want to act sick just so I can stay home. I'm very tempted, but the fact that the auditions for Swan Lake are in two weeks discourage me from doing it. I get out of bed like a zombie, dragging myself to my bathroom so I can brush my hair and put it neatly into a bun. I finally begin to look presentable, almost being ready to go. I eat breakfast, brush my teeth, and am on my way to practice. Something feels off, but I try to dismiss the feeling to not stress myself out.

I get to class and everyone looks anxious, but I'm not sure why. I look around and people are taking deep breaths and intensively practice the moves we were taught for the audition. I'm utterly confused by the actions of my classmates, looking for Alya to ask what's up. I finally see my best friend, running over to her with great speed. She looks excited for some reason.

"Alya, what is up with everyone? They all look so nervous..." I ask her, and now she's confused.

"You're joking right?" She responds, her tone sounding disappointed. I shake my head no and she just about cuts my head.

"Auditions for Swan Lake are today, girl!"

"WHAT?!?"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, everyone! I am so incredibly sorry for the ridiculous wait. I'm actually a dancer in real life, and dance season has started and it's kind of taken over my life. However! It's break, so I have more free time and I got a computer for Christmas, so it'll be easier for me to write chapters! Thank you to everyone who reads my stories. I appreciate you all so much!! <3 <3