Chapter 2: Liquid Hatred

Sadly, Karnus had to stay last night. Although he was her friend, she was still forced to sleep on the floor. It was considered a major act of rudeness to sleep next to one when they haven't been declared a couple.

"Hjuirr, I need you to come here," his mother whispered loudly. He squiggled off his bed and thudded onto the hard, wood floor. With a groan, he stood up, stretching. Reaching down, he patted Karnus on the head.

He trudged into the kitchen and sat atop a stool. "What do ya' want, mother? Is something wrong?" he mumbled, slurring some words. She sighed heavily, only expressing a tad of joy. The rest of her emotions remained unreadable and weary.

"In a month you're turning 18. Am I right?" she asked.

"Yes, that is correct. 18 years gone by as fast as a firefly buzzing past trees."

"Oh," she said, yawning. "Looks like it's kind of time." Hjuirr tilted his head, his messy green hair bouncing. He tried to say something, but a yawn took over and canceled his speech. "W... What?" he said.

She shook her head rapidly and took a sip of her coffee, trying to fully wake up. His mother's tail draped down and slid against the smooth wood as she took a seat across from her son at the counter. "You're turning 18. That's a big thing here, remember? Once every Zaak in the Jafgin Swamp turns 18, its time for them to find a partner. A marriage partner."

His eyes threatened to close, but the news now shot them open. If his jaw was not attached to his cranium with flesh, his mandible would drop so far that it would completely fall off. He rested his head in his hands moaning, "No, please, no. Do I have to? Do I have a choice?"

"No, I'm sorry. The chief has given you so many chances to prove yourself a better warrior than a husband to defend the Swamp, but you've proven yourself a husband. On the bright side, there's a few beautiful women out there looking for a sharp man like you."

Oh dear, this is what Karnus has been bugging me about, he noticed. "Is Karnus thought of as a warrior or a wife-to-be?" Hjuirr asked slowly, watching as his mothers face turned to one of hope. "A wife-to-be. Are you interested in her?" she answered and asked. He simply shrugged, not sure of whether he likes her or not. He really never had any time to think about it.

There was a bang from the other room as Karnus emerged from the doorway, her hair tangled and sloppy. She kindly smiled, closing her crystal blue eyes. "Hello, miss Olivetalon. Have my parents returned?" she asked. His mother nodded and responded, "Yes, I believe so. By the way, I think Hjuirr has his eye on you." Karnus glanced over at him, giving him something that looked a lot like a death stare mixed with shock and humiliation.

Hjuirr's slim face turned pink. He stuttered multiple times, trying to think of an acceptable excuse. "We're turning 18 soon, and we're both in the community stage of looking for a marriage partner." His mom left the room, noticing that she should give them a private time to talk.

Karnus' face was still positioned in one of confusion. She blinked once, then twice. "Karnus, this is so hard to explain. She really didn't mean that. I don't have a crush on you!" Her face softened. Then, it saddened.

They took a moment to stare at the ground, unknowing of what to say. He let his tail lift and sway side to side in a worried manner. Without thinking about it, Karnus squeaked, "Why not?" As she looked back up at her best friend, tears welled up in her eyes. Her claws were fingering the frame of the door, leaving scratch marks upon the surface.

Hjuirr shook his head, watching as Karnus clawed silently in grief. As the clawing stopped, so did the swaying of his tail. The Jafgin Swamp grew silent as they both sighed.