The guy was dressed in a suit, same as most of the other parents. It was a rich part of town. My breath caught a little when I saw him. He was really good looking. Not your high school crush good looking, I mean that guy looked like he was plucked straight from a fashion magazine. He stepped up to the counter and flashed this perfect white smile at me. There was something about this guy. I mean that smile made me go a little weak at the knees and it’s embarrassing to say but it also gave me a bit of a tingle down in my pants, if you know what I mean.

And then the strange part. As soon as I felt that little spark of arousal, it got drowned in this terrible feeling. Dirty. I felt dirty. Shameful. Like that time I’d walked in to call my younger brother down for dinner and found him jacking it to some random porn site. The kind of dirty that makes you feel like you’ll never be able to scrub it off.

When the man spoke, he had a sort of radio voice, you know kind of deep and smooth. It fit him perfectly.

“Mr C. and I had an agreement. I’m here to collect Lucy,” he said.

Not that Mr C. sent him. Not introducing himself. It was such a strange thing to say that I just stood there and gaped for a minute.

He just stood there, his eyes twinkling with good humour from that devilishly handsome face. Like he already knew the punchline to the joke.

It was an odd request. But we do get third party pick ups from time to time. It’s very, very rare. And we either need to be told in advance or be informed personally by the parents. Nobody had mentioned that baby Lucy was going to be picked up that day.

I told the man that we couldn’t do it unless he had authorization from the parent. He appeared to wait a while, deep in thought. Then he smiled and told me that everything had been arranged. He gestured towards my phone on the table. Just then, the damn thing rang. I jumped, a little edgier than I should have been. This strange man was really making me nervous. He had this weird air around him. It was intimidating. Like I was totally undeserving of his attention. His stare made my breath catch in my throat.

On the phone. Mr C. That was odd. He didn’t have my number. Hell, I didn’t have his number stored on my personal phone either. And it was on Facetime as well. I accepted the call and Mr C’s face filled the screen. Something was off about the call. At first I figured it to be the network connected. A little lag. His lips were out of sync with his voice. It was a disconcerting image, like a badly dubbed film.

“Hey. There’s a guy over there with you right?” Mr C. had a look of intense concentration on his face. There was something else there, a mark on his cheek. It was too small, too blur on the screen of my phone to make out. I knew for sure that it had not been there when he left Lucy in the morning. It seemed like some angular shape, the size of a quarter.

“Yes, there is sir.” I was mesmerized by the video feed.

“You need to give Lucy to him, you hear? Just give him Lucy.” His tone was clipped, urgent. There was something else about those flapping lips. They seemed to be repeating the same thing over and over.

“If you say so, Mr C. Is there something wrong?” Same two words. I could almost make them out.

“Nothing’s wrong. Just give him the girl. It’ll be fine after that.” I could see the slight parting of his lips for the sibilant. A small roll of his tongue for the second word. And repeated, over and over.

I looked back up at the man, standing there with a quiet smirk on his face. “I’ll go get the baby.” I left him there, and slowly made my way to the creches. S. L. I turned the words around in my head. What could Mr C. have been trying to say. S. L. Save. Save? Lucy?