DARKNESS FOLLOWS CHAPTER 4

CHAPTER 4 THE BEGINING OF THE END

The night of the big fight arrives a equally ferocious opponent awaits Cody Locke, if he wins this fight the world is his and everything in it ...starting with the big half a million pound fiught with Connors, all he has to do is win this fight.

He gets in the ring with his opponent Ronnie Ellis A British Jamaican fighter with a killer left shoulder and powerful arm and fist full of Haymakers

The fight begins they are trying to get to grips with each other's styles then Cody smacks him with a big right, his opponent loses his balance, he hits him five more times, the referee takes a count as he is on his Knees Cody raises his fist as he inhaled the Glory, but his opponent gets up like a terminator, But Cody isn't phased

"Wrong place to have a big heart" Cody shouts out to him

Cody Uses a combination then a uppercut makes him bleed but hes opponet is saved by the bell

The rounds continue but his opponent is too brave for his own good, on the eleventh round a huge right then a uppercut stuns Ronnie Ellis his gloves are down but Cody keeps pounding at his face, he still won't go down stubborn, stupid and brave ..the referee finally has enough he stops the bout, Cody raises his arms to the partisan home crowd, He now fights for the title in his next fight, he remembers to offer humble respect to his brave opponent but he looks for him in the ring but he is nowhere where to be seen.

He then focusses on some commotion on the corner of the ring the doctors are working on him, he sees one of them shake their head and a stretcher is brought on as he tries to approach Ronnie but the fighter is taken straight to a ambulance and Cody goes to his changing room and finds out Ronnie might not make it. The high of the night ..the best night of his life turns into the worst night of his life all in the same day.

The next day he goes to the hospital to visit Ronnie but he is in informed he is in a coma, Ronnies wife allows him into the room as her and her young son look on, Cody has a uncomfortable look on his face as he didnt expect his young son there as thought he may be at school.

Cody looks at him and says " Your dad he's got the heart of a lion you know"

The boy nods and says "He's the Champ he just need to wake up from his dream, he is just dreaming like mama said he is dreaming how to come back to us"

He looks at his dad and says " Aint that right champ, you have to wake up, Wake up champ, wake up" He says as his tears begin to fall

Cody looks at Ronnies wife, Shakes his head and tells her he is so sorry

"I will pay for all your medical costs, I will help you" He tells she nods and slightly smiles as she looks to be in a world of her own, miles away, he turns to her son

"Listen you have to be strong for you mama alright ? Your dad will want you be strong and not sad and crying, it's ok to cry but your strong like your dad ...in see it in your eyes ..you too are a Warrior alright ...just like he is"

Then boy nods and Cody begins to make his way out, he passes by the doctor who was earlier in Ronnies room

"Hey Doc, what are his chances ?" He asks

The Doctor looks Blankly "Your the guy who fought him right ? so I'm going to be honest ...he's already dead, I just kept him alive on the machines so his boy and wife could say goodbye"

Cody falls back to a nearby chair clearly devastated "Do they know?"

"The wife..Yes the boy ..I don't think so, make sure noone else's knows until we confirm it ok"

Cody makes his way out of the hospital feeling devastated and depressed he deals with it but trying to make himself numb, he goes to a bar drinks a few vodkas but needs something stronger he calls a girl he use to know to supply him some cocaine and he goes on a binge one day after his biggest high...he has a complete different type of high.. and he is falling and falling fast.

A few weeks pass and he cannot get out of his depression, Donny pays him a unexpected visit at his home, He opens the door and invites him in as he is happy to see him after so long.

"Hey Don, your hear about the fight I'm booked to fight Connors in a few months ...already sold out"

"Yeah Code....but look at you your not ready for a machine like Connors, Whats the matter with you? I know your hurting with that Ronnie business but you fight long enough in this business things like that happen its inevitable, look at Connors ...I think two maybe three guys passed away after fighting him, one in the ring and the other months later, but it's the same for him he goes on just like the rest of us...You can't fall apart"

"Yeah....I know, Your right..always right Don..Hey Who sent you Don?"

"You want to know the truth? ...Alicia was worried about you, she still looks out for you from afar and people told her you wasn't doing so good, that's the truth ...and so she went to the gym got my number and called me, she said You respect me or something"

He nods "Thats nice of her"

"It is" Don Agrees

"You wana train me Don, Like the good old days?"

"It's too late for me now..I think  but I want to help you, your mental state"

You can't help me ..Nobody can, I have murder on my conscience"

"Listen to me ok that's not murder, it was a accident ....That's all it was, same as when people die in a car crash..a accident"

"Yea but he was already beaten...But I kept pounding him..those last few punches was what killed him I know it he's look before and after those last few punches was different ...completely different this blank stare was looking back at me ..the lights were no longer on..he was already long gone"

The Phone rings during there conversation to which Cody answers

"Yes, Oh, Now what? Can I appeal?Can they do that?.....Ok ..bye" He puts the phone down

"Its Over Donny..you dont have to worry about training me again....my Random drug test...came back with a cocktail of drugs, Cocaine....I'm banned they are saying it will be harsh maybe a few years to make a example of me ....it's all over"

"Ah Cody ......I don't know what to say..."

"Man, why do I always screw things up, I could of been a somebody, now its too late, maybe...it's just in my nature ? to self destruct, I want to be alone, can you leave me alone Don?"

"I cant leave you like this kid.."

"Thats ok then Don you stay ..I will go"

He gets up and leaves ahead of Donny driving erratically wiping tears from his eyes until he is finally stopped by the police for speeding , he asks him out for a breath test for alcohol and drugs then the police officer looks directly at him

"Your Cody Locke ?"

Cody nods his head

"I just heard about your failed a drugs test on the radio, like five minutes ago....I see" The officer nods

"Listen ...I know you had a lot going on with the other fighter and your addictions, my brother has a addiction .. to hard drugs...and im a Cop...it's not easy I know and I don't even want to know the result if I test you, I think you need a break right now, if you agree to drive home..and I will tail you, Justngo home park your car and do not go out again today,monthly...and I will let you off"

"Yea thanks, that's good of you Officer, thanks again...let's go then" Cody says

The officer follows him home then drives away once Cody opens his front door, Cody sleeps off the drink and drugs and stays home as he was requested to do.