“I don’t even know why we pay for him to have a phone,” Jasper said. “He doesn’t even use it.”

                “I use it when I remember it,” Mitch said.

                “Well, don’t tell Rio to come over. We’re going to visit your grandma today. It’s the anniversary of your grandpa’s death, and I promised grandma we’d take her to the cemetery and have dinner with her,” Carol said, crossing her arms. “She wanted it to be just us and your uncle’s family.”

                “What about Jace?” Shane asked.

                “I highly doubt Jace wants to come to the cemetery,” Carol said.

                “I’ll just head home for the day,” I said. I felt bad about losing my temper with my mom. I should probably go apologize to her.

                “You can come back over when we get back home,” Carol said. “We’ll be gone for most of the day, but we’ll be home before it gets too late.”

                “Alright, just text me when you get back,” I said to the brothers.

                “Can do,” Shane said.

                “I’m going to head home now,” I said, standing up.

                “I can drive you,” Shane said.

                I shook my head. “Nah, I’m going to walk. But thanks. I just have to grab my phone and shirt out of Mitch’s room.”

                Mitch stood up and followed me to his bedroom. I felt a little irritated that he trusted Rio alone in his room, but not me.

                But then we got in, and he shut the door, turning me to face him. He leaned against the door, hooking his thumbs in his pockets.

                “Call me if you need me,” he said after a moment of silence.

                “You’re not the best with your phone,” I reminded him.

                “I’ll check it constantly today,” he said. “You’re the strongest guy I know, Jace. But everyone has a breaking point. And you know as well as I do that you’re at yours.”

                I turned away from him, pulling my shirt on and grabbing my phone. “I’m leaving. I’ll see you tonight, Mitch.”

                “Bye,” he said, stepping aside so I could leave his room.

                I waved to his parents and Shane before leaving the house. I put my earphones in as I walked towards my house, wishing that I could just lose myself in music for the rest of my life.

                “Wait, something doesn’t feel right. No, something feels wrong. And I’ve been feeling this way for far too long,” I mumbled along with my music.

                I turned up my driveway a little while later, stopping at the front door. I took a deep breath and let myself inside, pulling my earphones out.

                I went upstairs and into the living room, where my mom was sitting and reading a book. She looked up in surprise.

                “Jace,” she said. “I didn’t think you were coming home.”