Chapter 11

The inside was surprisingly spacious. Tulip continued to clutch onto me tightly, her little claws digging into the fabric of the nightgown. Saskia huffed in disdain as she nudges away a small pile of thick, dogged eared books with her foot. "Ivor! Your books are all over the floor!"

A grunt from another door that was across the room alerted us where the hulking man was. A few thudding footsteps sounded and he made his appearance. A smile flitted across his face as he saw me and he bowed slightly.

Tulip scrambled down from my arms and towards Ivor. Her footsteps were shaky and unsure as she toddles towards her father. Her older brothers easily beat her, the triplets were only several footsteps in front of her despite her best effort.

"Ah, it's nice to see you settled in and cleaned up Cyra!" Ivor cried happily, picking up the children in a huge bundle.

I nodded and stepped back nervously, he held the scent of something strange and old on his clothing and it unnerved me greatly. The children and his mate paid no mind to the scent and carried on with their lives, Saskia hummed and plucked one of the triplets from his arms and carried him off into another room.

"Where is Lux? Did she go out without taking you with her?" He pondered aloud, setting the rest of the children down for them to go and play.

"No," I stammered, "She went to bed and permitted me to go out for a walk."

"Alone?"

"No, I was supposed to find you but then I got caught up in something," I said my voice still wobbling as I jerked my head towards the children.

"Perhaps you should go back to your room then, you have a big day tomorrow after all." He smiled and his large paw guided me out the door and into the hallway, facing Lux's room.

"Ah, okay." I nodded and trod towards the door, lifting my knuckles to knock.

Before my fist made contact the door already swung open, revealing Lux towering over me with mixed facial expressions. Her eyes narrowed as they closed on me and she gave a curt nod towards Ivor. He returned the nod and went into his room, leaving me alone with Lux.

"You took quite a long walk." She said slowly, opening the door for me to walk in.

"I didn't take a walk, I helped Saskia find her children." I trilled.

She closed the door and nodded slowly. She took a deep breath and slid her eyes back towards me. "I thought about my earlier proposition and realized how that may have sounded and I had a pallet prepared for you." She flicked her wrist towards the pile of blankets that laid on the floor.

"Thank you," I said and slunk around her, not trusting the way she held her body tight.

"It was no problem." She walked back to her bed and pulled the furs over her.

I arranged the blankets and fur accordingly for me to lay on, relishing in the softness of the fur I had chosen to lay on. It was like the hide of a deer but thicker and more gray and dark brown in color, elk hide. I pulled a woolen blanket over me and laid my head on top of several other garments.

Despite the prospect of sleeping on the floor, it was far comfier than any other arrangement I had been in. I pulled the blanket closer to my face, enjoying the slight comfort it brought me. I rolled over as I felt eyes boring into my back. I was correct because as I turned my head I could see Lux's eyes glowing, the flickering of the candles around us making them look ominous and hungry.

I clutched the blankets tighter and stared down respectfully. Her gaze continued to linger before she rolled back over suddenly. A sigh erupting from her chest as she did so. Her hand reached out and she snuffed the life out of the candle beside her, plunging the room into complete and utter darkness.

"Goodnight little Omega." She said softly, her tone almost tender.

"Goodnight," I replied, my tone soft.

I didn't sleep right away though, I forced my breath to even out so it would seem like I was. My eyes were wide, watching her form to see if she would fall for the trick. My breath flitted past the furred blankets, making the little hairs sway in response to my breath. My body was impossibly still for a sleeping person but she wasn't looking at me so that didn't matter I figured. I shifted in the pile of furs and blankets so they accommodate my tiny, scrawny frame better. I was slightly fearful of suffocating under all of the weight.

She seemed to have fallen for the little trick because she didn't say anything else. I could hear her light breathing fading out as she seemed to fall deeper into her sleep. She rolled, turning to face me. She seemed peaceful, more mellow. I could almost mistake her for friendly almost. She was hardly friendly, her constant mood swings put me on edge. Would she embrace me or yell at me for my incompetence? I was having difficulty picking out the patterns of her behavior.

I closed my eyes, thinking of Calix. I missed his warmth, the way his scrawny arms wrapped around to protect me from anyone who would slink into the Omega room to pluck out the prettier ones for a night. Was he curled up in the corner missing me? I thought he would be, all alone without anyone to talk to for the night. I was missing our late night talks, the whispers we'd share as we talked about what we saw that day. If he was here, what would I tell him? The strange behavior of the higher ranking wolves towards me? The stiff, hungry look Lux flashed every so often? I pulled the coverings around me tighter at the remembrance, swallowing. God's, help me. I prayed silently as I closed my eyes to sleep.

Wow! I never expected this book to gain so many readers! I'm back from my break and I'm happy to announce I'll be writing/updating way more.