40. I Know Who You Really Are

Start from the beginning

"People fear power."

"People don't ignore you because they're scared of you," I said. "They ignore you because they hate you. You spend so much time pushing people away, you never even stopped to think that maybe they don't want to be close to you."

"What about you?" he asked. "You do."

"I did. But having no humanity has opened my eyes. You're pathetic."

"I know who you really are, Serena," he said. "You're not this person. Turn your humanity back on."

"No," I said. "I turned it off for a reason, and I feel amazing Klaus, so powerful. Why would I give that up?"

He sighed. "I'm worried that, if you ever do decide to turn it back on, you'll be too far gone. You'll never be the person you were before."

"I don't want to be her!" I said angrily. "I don't want to be controlled by an unknown supernatural demon! Don't you understand that?!" I stood up and he was in front of me immediately, his hands on my shoulders.

"Of course I understand," he said. "But we can fight it."

"I don't want to fight it. I don't even want to think about it."

"Then think about your home, your life. Think about your brothers," he said.

"You made me do this!" I reminded him. "You can't just change me back because you suddenly don't like me anymore."

He gave me a sad look. "That's what you think this is about? You think that I don't like you like this?" I shrugged. "Serena, you're my best friend. I trust you more than I've ever trusted anyone in my entire life. I'd like you no matter what you did."

"Then why are you ruining everything?" I asked. "Killing people from city to city was completely fine, but sleeping with Katherine Pierce is where the Original Hybrid Douchebag draws the line?!"

He didn't answer, looking away from me. I rolled my eyes.

"Look Klaus, I'm over this. You're not my best friend any more. You're just like Katherine and Steve and that fucking demon – you mean nothing to me!"

"Serena," he said, grabbing my arm.

"Ahh!" I screamed, deliberately loudly, in an over-dramatic fashion.

"Is everything OK over here?" a random guy asked.

"We're fine mate," Klaus said.

"Please help me," I said, fake tears sprouting from my face. "My ex-boyfriend, he won't let me go. I'm scared!"

"Don't do this Serena," Klaus said angrily.

"Hey man, stay away from her!" the guy said. Thankfully, he had friends. The friends made a human wall that blocked me from Klaus' view. Taking advantage of the opportunity, I left the hotel and ran as fast as I could, as far as I could. I didn't need Klaus to be with me, I could look after myself.

...

3 days. 3 days alone.

For the first time since turning my humanity off, I had no rules, no one to judge me. Snatch, eat, erase, restart. I was living like a true vampire and I loved every moment of it. Why didn't every vampire turn off their humanity?

I was sucking the blood (and as a result, the life) out of a man that I'd met previously walking down a pretty bridge that I didn't recognize. Surprisingly, I didn't have to compel him. He was into it.

"What's your name?" he asked.

I removed my teeth from his neck. "Why?"

"I'm Mike," he said, his skin pale from the blood that he'd lost.

"Katherine," I said, sinking my teeth back into his neck. It only took me a few seconds to realize my mistake. I moved away from him abruptly, my hands shaking. What was wrong with me?

"What's wrong Katherine?" he asked.

"Don't call me that!" I ran from him, back to the bridge that we met on. It was the middle of the night, the area was completely empty. I leaned over and looked down, into the water, hoping to see my reflection, something that would keep me sane. But it was too dark. I couldn't see the person looking back at me. And I was pretty sure that if I could, I wouldn't recognize her.

My phone vibrated in my pocket. When I first turned my humanity off, I bought a new phone, only programming two numbers into it. One was Klaus's. The other was the person that I'd compelled to tell me if anything was happening in Mystic Falls that I should be worried about.

Matt Donovan: Klaus is here. At the Boarding House.

I smirked to myself, all thoughts of my absent reflection forgotten. Suddenly, I knew exactly where I'd be going next. Home.

**************************************************

Thanks so much for reading this chapter!

Should Serena turn her humanity back on?

Please vote and comment!