Summer 1957

Summer in the 1950's was the pinnacle of Joyce's adulthood. All the memories she had of her youth were innocent and fruitful. Holding Oscar's hand as they took gentle walks up and down Blackpool's piers. The proposal at sunset followed by wild parties on Saturday nights.

Looking back, Joyce knew that she had a pleasant youth, but she always felt that she wanted more. She could never shake that aching emptiness laying dormant in her heart. She was best friends with Vicky Andrews and Dorothy Davidson: two of the most beautiful girls in Uddington-Crown School. Joyce felt out of place in their group of luscious blondes. She stood out with her ginger girls, but not in a flattering light.

Luckily, Rodger Bentley, Vicky's childhood sweetheart gave the playground bullies a knuckle sandwich if they tried anything. He was a teacher's worst nightmare. He often became the joker of the class to hide the fact he was unable to read or write. Until the tree girls decided it was best to help him out as repayment for all the nice things the young lad did for them over the years.

It was an exhausting process. Joyce often found herself sweating after school over it. In the end, it was worth it. Rodger ended up being top of the class. Their snotty English teacher, Mr Price and his sharp cane took all the credit. He went on to say, "It does them a lot of good. It teaches them discipline. When he first came into my class, he couldn't read or write. Now look at him: top of the class. It's all down to discipline."

The school prom was a night to remember. Vicky and Rodger were the king and queen, and Dorothy and Joyce were behind them like the bridesmaid to their wedding. When they asked Rodger what he wanted to do when he left school, he babbled on about his childhood dream.

"I want to start my own business. I like making stuff: especially toys. Then I'm going to sell them on. I'd like to open my own factory one day."

They mocked him at first. Toys were for children. Why would he want to be playing with toys at sixteen for? He proved them wrong and most of the people that mocked him ended up working for him. In the small village of Uddington-Crown, the factory gave the village jobs and saved workers hundreds of pounds a year with commutes to Blackpool or the other major cities.

Joyce was so proud of him. So were Vicky and Dorothy. She remembered the next couple of years after school, being an accompanier for Vicky when she was waiting for Rodger to finish work. The happy couple didn't mind that her and Dorothy were tagging along on their date.

In Joyce's eyes, Vicky and Rodger were the most romantic couple in the whole world. Nothing in the world could ever split then apart even though their parents tried. Seeing the young couple together made her feel warm and fuzzy. She really felt that they would get married for the rest of their lives. She could picture the two of them roaring their wedding vows until death did them part.

Then something happened: Summer 1957. It changed the coarse of their lives forever. It destroyed a solid friendship group.

Joyce and Dorothy were in Vicky's house getting ready for another party. Joyce had a headache, so she took some paracetamol from Vicky's bedside cabinet. They were waiting for the most beautiful girl in the village to finish getting ready and also for the coolest guy on the planet to pick them up. There were times when Joyce wanted to be like Vicky. She always got she wanted with very little effort. If Joyce ever wanted anything, it would have to be earned. She even had to ask her parent's permission to go out. They would never let her go out unless she was with her friends or with Oscar.