Chapter One

The first thing you usually think about when you move into your grandmas house with your mom which is in a different state  is How did I get here?

That question seemed to keep repeating on my mind, luckily I knew the answer. A few weeks ago I moved to Ohio from Michigan with my now newly divorced mother.

Six months ago my mom walked in on my dad having sex with his assistant Alice. She filled for a divorce straight away, managing to get full custody of me and dad ended up marrying his assistant. I hadn't talked to him since then and I don't think I ever wanted too, I wasn't interested in knowing him anymore. According to mom he was still keen to talk to me since he called every week asking how I was and if I wanted to talk to him.

So after the divorce, mom decided to move back in with my grandma Annie. The only problem was; her house was in  Ohio and we lived in Michigan.

You see, grandma Annie didn't drive so we would always have to drive to her, when I was a kid I loved the drive down there for me it was like an adventure. Then I grew up and was no longer interested in seeing her so mom managed to teach her how to use a telephone though it was an agonising few hours of teaching.

When I found out we were moving to Ohio however, i must admit, I was fucking pissed.

Yes it was true I wasn't exactly popular at school, I wasn't a jock and I wouldn't say I was really popular with the girls either but at least I had a few friends and surpisingly I had a girlfriend that I actually had lots of fun with.

The day before we left for Ohio, mom went out for a night and I had a small get together I can honestly say, it wasn't great.

Five months ago before the move my then girlfriend Jane asked me out. Jane without a doubt was rebellious and was super controlling so it was only natural she asked me out. At first I was sure I really liked her I mean, we had fun together but at least two months into our relationship, I stopped. She was a great person and all but I just didn't want to be her boyfriend, I figured I just didn't like her that way.

Anyway on the night of the get together Jane came,  she looked nicer then she usually did. I had planned that that evening I would break up with her, how on earth could I stay in a relationship with her while I was in a whole different state. So while the guys were playing a game one of them had brought on my play station, I asked Jane if I could talk to her in private, we went into my bedroom to talk and that's when all the drama started.

I began to explain to Jane I couldn't be with her when she started kissing me and fiddling with my belt while whispering  "I've waited for this moment since we first met"

I pushed her away and told her in the gentlest way I could, it was over.

Jane stared at me for a moment and slapped me across the face with all the strength she had. I fell backwards into my bed as Jane screamed at me that she never wanted to be with me anyway and I only brought her down. She then walked away, I ran after her apologising profusely. She walked into the lounge room, picking up a can of soda that was on the coffee table and tipping it all over the play station. The guys stared at her in shock before she smiled at me in a nasty way and walked out, slamming the door behind her.

I didn't tell my mom the truth of what happened that evening, instead I made up some lie I was clumsy and knocked a can of soda onto it.

In a way I was glad to be moving away, after all Jane lived a few blocks away from me and even on the morning of our departure a part of me worried she would turn up with a crowbar and beat the crap out of me.

So now, here I was recounting the whole story in my head again while lying on my bed staring at the ceiling while listening to music on my phone. It was 7am and  soon I would have to get up for my first day at Martin Johnson high school.  I didn't exactly know how I should feel. A part of me was staying hopeful I may actually belong there more then I did at Rockmount but I doubted it. It was sheer luck I actually managed to make friends at Rockmount and I didn't think I'd have that much luck to find a group of friends this time around.