25

"Please forgive me," Tobias cried out as guards seized him. Gareth groaned having jumped in front of the spear to protect them. Rudo looked stunned before she did the least expected. Walking towards Tobias with the spear still in her hand she drove it straight through his heart as he looked at her in surprise.
"The next person who tries to kill my husband will have to deal with me," she said sending a glare towards the assassin who quickly shook his head no, indicating he had no such intentions.
Wiping the blood off the spear with her skirt she handed the spear back to him before going to tend to Gareth.
"Blood shall me spilled," she heard Gareth murmur as he looked at her with pride. It was like seeing a rare flower finally blooming before he closed his eyes.

She felt his presence beside her as Gareth was rushed off to the hospital. Looking at her hands she saw the now dried blood as Munya grabbed ahold of her hand with his own stained hand.
"My little warrior," he whispered as she looked at him directly in his eyes not saying a word.

"Your highness," he heard.
Looking away from her he saw John standing before them. With a questioning look John started to ramble about an incident that had occurred at the western boarders that required his attention.
"No one leaves this room," Munya said as he led the way out of the room.
Reaching their room he helped her out of her clothes as she was still in shock having never killed anyone before. Blood stained the water they stood in as he scrubbed her hands until there was no trace left. She looked at him as he tentatively scrubbed her fingers making sure none had dried in her fingernails.

"Love," he called out to her.
Looking up at him he placed a kiss upon her cheek moving to her ear.
"Thank you," he said pulling her into his arms as she sighed relaxing into his hold.

Tucking her into bed he quickly put on his royal robes before he left their room.
Walking into the throne room he found everyone as he had left them. Seated patiently.
"Where were we?" He stated breaking the silence.
"Your highness. Regardless of the circumstances some of us still feel that tradition is tradition," Stanford began. "This is how we will know she is loyal to the crown and nothing else," he stated as several heads bobbed up and down.
Munya sighed looking at the time. It was almost midnight and he had better things to do, like getting some rest or better yet find out what exactly was happening in his country.

"I will not allow it. Would you allow for your wife to go through such humiliation and torture?" He asked in a calm tone.
The old man remained silent for a while before he opened his mouth to speak Munya silenced him.
"Do not dare lie to me," he growled as the man clamped his mouth shut. "I have heard enough, my decision is final. No one will harm her," he said standing up as John followed him out.
"Keep me updated on Gareth's health status," he said as they stepped out of the building. Looking towards his wing he saw the lights still on. He had informed Vimbai to keep them on in case Rudo woke. A feint smile on his lips as he slid into the waiting vehicle knowing she would love the gift she would wake up to in the morning.

-------

Having slept surprisingly well Rudo frowned seeing no sign of Munya in their room. She noticed the small box on his side of the bed with a white rose attached to it. Taking the flower and box she smiled opening the seeing the simple locket. Opening it her smile widened seeing all three boys smiling in the picture. Placing it back in the box she got out of bed to freshen up before she wore the locket.

Opening the door she found Vimbai standing outside her door.
"Good morning you highness," she greeted.
"Good morning Vimbai. How was your night?"
"Restful my queen," she said with a smile as two guards stood at attention.
Rudo smiled realizing it was the same pair assigned to her while they were abroad.

Walking into the dining room she found the queen already seated having her breakfast.
"She looked at Rudo with a mixture of pity and disgust," as Rudo bowed before her greeting her.
Sucking her teeth she stood up leaving her half eaten meal as Rudo watched her silently.
A few minutes later her brother and the prince ran into the room making her smile as the little prince appeared strong to stay on his feet for longer without falling.
Lifting him into his high chair she took her seat as the servants came and laid out their breakfast. Turning to Vimbai she asked her where Munya was only to be informed he was attending to an urgent meeting.