"...Don't try my patience, Michael," Leir continued. "And tell me-"

Drawing a deep breath, Alexander swung the door of the storeroom open.

A glint of metal flashed in front of his eyes. Before Alexander could understand what was going on he saw a blade pointed at his chest.

"Charna, wait," was Leir's order.

The girl froze, but didn't lower the knife. She just stared at Alexander, irritated. A pale scar was cutting through her right eyebrow and cheek, and her hair was as red as blood in the dim light of the room.

To Alexander's surprise, except for Leir, Charna and Michael, there were two more men here. And everyone was looking at the interloper now.

"Who are you?" Leir demanded. The collar of his coat was up. All that Alexander could see were Leir's black eyes peering at him, intimidating eyes.

Alexander swallowed hard. This wasn't exactly what he'd been expecting to see. "And who are you?" he glanced at the criminals, then at his friend. Michael's face was composed as ever despite the blood dripping from his spit lip on his flawlessly ironed shirt.

"Alex, I'm a little busy," Michael spoke quietly. "Come back later."

"Oh, no," Leir let out a sound that, conceivably, was a rough laugh. "I'm afraid Alex is not leaving." He made a vague gesture, "Tane, Nagal, entertain the guest while we finish here."

The two other men started toward Alexander.

He backed into the darkness of the store, hurriedly trying to decide among the unpleasant options. Run? Shoot? Try to talk?

Talk. But what about? Alexander knew nothing about the deal Michael had made with this Leir and why. And what sort of criminals were these people? Was Leir joking about the killing part? Were they really capable of such a thing?

"Guys, let's take it slow," Alexander said, raising the revolver. His hand was trembling.

"We always take it slow," nodded one of the men, grinning. Poisonous amusement flickered in his eyes as he looked sideway at his friend. "Aren't we, Nag?"

Bald-headed Nag just chuckled low in his throat and reached for something in his pocket. A knife.

Without thinking, Alexander hopped behind a bookcase, trying to buy more time.

Silence hovered over the store for a few moments.

"You want to play hide-and-seek?" Tane's mocking voice came from somewhere in the blackness. "Too bad we're not into games."

Too bad Alexander knew it. These people seemed so calm and unfazed, Alexander wondered if they were professionals. Carefully, he peeked from around the corner. Not a slightest movement. The pitch darkness made Tane and Nagal invisible.

Leir's and Michael's voices were still heard from the storeroom.

"...you're telling me now or your friend..."

"...doesn't know that!"

More glass breaking, more punching.

"Then you'd better..."

All of a sudden, Nagal's grim face appeared next to Alexander. The enemy lifted his fist for a strike, but Alexander jumped aside. Nagal's hand slashed the air instead and hit the bookcase, knocking it on the floor. Books and antiquities flew all around them.

Nagal gave an exasperated growl and attacked again.

Alexander staggered as the stone fist landed on his shoulder, his arm went numb, and the revolver clattered on the floor.