Prologue

There was something about my work station at the Resistance that I always hated. Believe me, I was thankful for what I had here, considering that most people were crammed in one room with others. I had my own room for my work station because I was one of the few doctors the Resistance had. The dark colors in the room made it dull and boring. In my opinion, it was hard for people to recover when they are placed into a room with nothing in it. It gives them nothing to look at and think about except for the fact that they are in pain.

My home planet is Naboo, which is a small planet located near the Outer Rim Territories. I lived there for my whole life with my mother, Pooja Naberrie, and my siblings until General Leia Organa recruited me into the Resistance. Before the First Order began to rise, she visited Naboo for business on behalf of the Republic. She was impressed with my abilities, and when she needed me, she came back to Naboo and recruited me. With all of the missions many people go on, it's pretty common for people to injure themselves around here. The general always said that it was a good thing that they had me here, but I always believed that she was being too modest.

"Even though you're really busy, can I come in?" A voice asked from the doorway. The voice that was very recognizable made me turn around and I couldn't help but give Poe Dameron a small smile.

"Did you really hurt yourself again?" I asked him as he slowly walked in as he held his right hand with his left hand.

"When do I not? Look Doc, I'll understand if you can't help me, considering all of the people in here you have to take care of." He said sarcastically as he looked around at all of the empty beds in the room.

"Shut up and sit down."

Poe Dameron was one of the best pilots in the Resistance, who also happened to be my best friend. Poe had a tendency to hurt himself when he went out on missions, which honestly didn't surprise me the more it happened. He's been down here so many times that we just clicked. He's the closest thing I have to a friend here at the Resistance. Whenever he wasn't away on missions, he would always come and visit me, mostly pick on me.

"What did you do this time?" I asked him as he sat down on one of the beds.

"You might laugh at me." He said as he shrugged off his jacket.

"Don't worry. I, and all of the other people in here, will not laugh at you." I said. He laughed lightly as he placed his jacket on the table next to me. He opened up his hand, and there was a large cut on it. It had blood coming out of it, but that didn't phase the two of us. Him bleeding was normal for us, as bad as that sounds.

"Well, I might have cut my hand with a knife." He started out slowly. When he saw the look on my face, he quickly said, "It was an accident."

"How did you manage to do that?" I asked. I picked up a scanning device that allowed us to tell if there were any internal injuries or infections inside the wound. When I turned it on, it began to glow a vibrant blue and I scanned over Poe's hand.

"Let's just say that when I was cutting some food, the knife accidentally cut me." He said. Once the device notified me that the cut was nothing major, I turned off the device and set it on the table.

"What were you cutting?" I asked him. He sighed underneath his breath and looked up at me.

"An apple." He mumbled quietly.

I stopped what I was doing and looked down at him. I bit my lip to try to hold my laughing in, but it wasn't working out too good. He slapped my arm lightly and said, "It's not that funny."

"It's not my fault that an apple is the one thing that can take down the best pilot in the Resistance." I pointed out while laughing. I began to clean the cut, and he winced when the washcloth touched it.

"Oh please, like you can handle an apple." He scoffed.

"If I can handle you, Poe Dameron, I can handle anything."

He just looked up at me and smiled lightly. I got ready to stitch the cut, which I knew he hated, but it had to be done. When I started to stitch, he hissed in pain but tried to relax as best as he could. He knew that I would yell at him if he jumped up off the bed like he did the first time.

"So listen, I have to leave again tonight to go on another mission." He said as he winced in pain.

"Got it. I'll make sure I have the bandages ready when you get back." I said as I finished stitching up his hand.

"Not this time. The general wants you to come with me." He said, which really surprised me.

"Me?" I asked shocked, "Why me?"

"She said that it was time for you to go out on a mission. She says that you're persuasive and you move people. You know, she thinks you'll be a great leader someday." He pointed out to me.

"I know." I said quietly as I bandaged his hand.

General Organa has talked to me a few times about wanting me to be her 'apprentice,' if that's what you would call it. She says that she believes that I will someday be a great leader in the Resistance, or even afterwards. I never understood why she believed such great things about me, but maybe she was right. The general was always right about things. She is royalty herself, after all.

"She thinks it would be a good opportunity for you to go on this mission. She said that she trusts us the most to go on this mission."

"Where do we have to go?" I asked him, which made him smile lightly.

"So you are going?" He asked with a smile.

"I never said that." I said with an involuntary smile.

"We have to go to Jakku. There's an old ally there that has a map to Luke Skywalker." He told me and I felt my stomach turn with excitement.

"Luke Skywalker?" I exclaimed to him quietly so nobody outside the room would hear me, "They actually found it?"

He smiled at me and stood up once I was done with his hand, "So are you coming? Like I said, the general thinks it's a good idea and you do know how to defend yourself from what I've seen. Plus, we have to take my X-Wing so it'll be a tight squeeze, and I know how much you want to be close to me."

I scoffed and shook my head at him as he winked at me. Maybe I should go on this mission. I didn't want to let General Organa, Poe, or the entire Resistance down. Plus, this will finally give me the opportunity to prove myself. I looked up at Poe and asked, "When are we leaving?"

-------

Hey guys! I'm back with yet another story.

So, I was originally going to wait to post this story until Episode 9 came out, but I caved. I couldn't wait any longer because I've been wanting to write this story for awhile now. I hope you all enjoy it, and I cannot wait to tell the story of Elyse Naberrie!