#23, Witches In A Magic Store

Another knock sounded; Nina was growing impatient

"Hide the papers," Avalon whispered, her eyes wide in shock.

Lars forewent sorting the notes and picked them up by the dozen to shove them into the bright yellow messenger bag he'd come with. Avalon followed his example, already knowing Nina to be too close to even try a cleaning spell without the other witch sensing it.

Fidelia threw some of the stuff stored behind the counter on its surface, along with a notepad that had a list or a table written on it. Coffee cups, coffee packs, chocolate bars, amulets, bracelets, tarot card packs and whatever else she could grab in her haste landed haphazardly on the counter, and Gil distributed some of it on some tables nearby.

The stocktake, Avalon recalled, finally getting the idea. Fidelia tried to make it look like she was still in the middle of it and they were helping her out.

Nina's voice was cheerful, though it held a dangerous undertone now. "I can hear you in there, you know?" she singsang.

"Why is she here?!" Gil asked, also whispering as they all rearranged the furniture back to its original position - two stools to each small round table.

"A moment, please, darling!" Fidelia answered Nina's question, sounding only a little breathless. Avalon thought it to be believable, given the "work" they were supposedly doing. "We're in the middle of stocktake, as I'm sure you can read on the paper on the door."

With a flick of her wrist every time that Fidelia pointed toward one of the candles and incense sticks scattered around the room, one after another lit up or started to glow. Basic elemental fire spells such as this one belonged to a witch's 101.

Avalon pulled a face, slightly embarrassed by the display; even after many training hours and under the tutelage of Zelo, Lars and Fidelia combined, she still had trouble doing spells without the help of her training ring.

She shook her head, focusing back to the situation at present. "How should I know why she's here?" she at last answered Gil's question, irritated and frustrated that their meeting had been cut short. Not that it had proven to be productive, but at least it had given her the feeling of actively doing something about the love spell situation.

Taking a seat, she pulled a bunch of amulets nearer, her fingers brushing the stones and leather straps in the process. Gil and Lars copied her movement, albeit with other stuff.

Then, accompanied by a sinking feeling in her gut, she watched from the corner of her eye as Fidelia brushed a hand through her long and unruly hair, straightened her beige dress, made a smile appear on her face and then went to the door.

Avalon had to hand it to her; the woman managed to take an awful lot of time to fumble with the lock, giving the rest of them time to hide any more evidence they might have missed in the hurry.