Chapter 20

Third POV

James Hartman closed the door to his luxury room. He took off his coat and threw it on his chair before grabbing his best scotch from the table. What a week it had been for him. It should have made him angry that his Angel and prized Roberta were gone. It should have made him furious, and he was not a man to be reckoned with when he was angry. He played dirty and hard and he knew it. Unfortunately, this situation required fineness that he had not had to use for a long time. He would have to be extremely precise and careful in order to stay in the dark. The Councils were simple ponds so easily movable and manipulated. It was a wonder they stayed in power for so long.

"I promise" he said to himself as he took a swing of his finest scotch, "I promise you, Jimhaya Sofia Hundale, I will have you. I will have you in all your madness and glory. Your monstrous beast will be mine to stroke, to feed and to love. And I promise you, my dear fiend, you will give me your offspring" He filled his glass and took another swing.

The lights above his head began to shimmer. He looked up. The lights were closing and opening quickly, as if a thunderstorm had arrived. He looked down to find the hair on his arms raise from the static in the air. Someone or something had arrived on his doorstep.

The lights went out and the temperature of the room dropped suddenly dropped to freezing. James blew and watched the hot air evaporate into nothing. He couldn't see very well in the dark, but he knew it was here. Something he had only dreamt of meeting. The room was surprisingly silent. Of course it was since the Underground Founders raided his home and took his things.

But he was not without defenses. He was a powerful warlock with centuries of knowledge and power. James put his glass down and slowly walked to the door. He knew whatever had arrived was not in his room. It was too warded for anything to pass without his consent. His hands were getting cold, but he didn't care. Using a little energy, the warlock conjured a small blue light that he threw over his head. The light shined the long, empty corridor. He looked to his right and saw nothing. He then looked to his left and his breath cut short in awe and amazement.

A little girl, no older than four years old was standing passively in the middle of the hall, no more than ten feet away. The girl had nothing but a white shirt and plain blue pajamas pants with tiny white angel wing designs on them. Her feet were bare but she didn't look like she was cold. Her dark brown hair fell down in waves around her beautiful round face and her eyes, oh her eyes, they were something else entirely. Instead of her mismatched brown and blue, the girl's eyes had become a shiny red and deep purple. They were mesmerizing as every time she blinked, the colors would switch eyes. Back and forth, back and forth. She had a solemn look as her face was half hidden by the shadows around her. The shadows seemed to be listening to her, moving around her like a loyal pet.

He had met her once before and her figure presence had haunted his mind for months. He would never had forgotten something so majestic and terrifying. She was more than he remembered. She was beyond his dreams. And, she was right here, with him.

"Hello beautiful one" James said. He stayed where he was but bent his upper body in order to look at her gorgeous eyes. "I was expecting you"

Phyllis said nothing as she watched him. She cocked her head to the side and studied him. The shadows seemed to grow darker until it felt like they had become oblivion. He kept his eyes strained on the gift before him as the shadows made him uncomfortable.

"Why don't you come to my room and have a hot drink" James said. He knew she was his the moment she entered his room. It was sealed with magic that took years to create and build until no one could leave without his permission. He was never going to let her leave. He also knew he still had loyal objects, waiting for his orders to attack. They were around them right now. For some unexplainable reason, he had a feeling that the girl knew exactly where they were.