Chapter 10

Siana POV

Day 8

I was hungry. No, scratch that, I was starving. I have not seen a live soul since the day I arrived, except for my dear roomy Cristoph and even he looked like a corpse. Hunger, thirst and stench were the things from keeping me awake at night. Oh, and lets not forget the absolute discomfort of being chained to a dirty wall with no way to lie down.

I didn't even know how long I have been here. The only enjoyment I had was when Cristoph decided to sing or talk to himself because it was the only reminder that I was not alone in this hell whole. He was a bad singer but even a raspy voice was better than a depressing silence.

The worst part was that I didn't even know if my family was alive. The notion of them being alive kept me strong and in my right mind. But, were they looking for me? Were they keeping Phyllis safe? Will they find me in time? Was Jimmy losing her mind? 

Gods I hoped, my wife had enough strength to stay cool. I laughed to myself; of course she wouldn't. I should probably start guessing when she would lose her mind. That might be a fun way to pass the time.

All those questions were driving me mad with anxiety. Something stopped my reverie and Cristoph's awful screeching. We both looked at the metal door to see it opening. The first light came rushing in making me shut my eyes in pain and I recoiled back into the wall. The people by the door stayed where they were, waiting for me to adjust. I heard a clink sound and Cristoph groaned. I finally managed to look up and saw my roommate stuffing his mouth in what looked like fake protein goo. It was grey, sticky with chunks of something else. I found the same thing by my feet and it took all my will power not to savagely shove into my mouth. That looked like the best food I had ever seen at this point.

"It's alright to eat like an animal, cherie" I heard in the voice I hated the most. Knowing he was gloating made my teeth grind together "That is what we are after all. But I admire your willpower"

The man of my nightmares walked into the room and knelt before me so that my eyes were leveled with his. Behind him stood a young girl, no older than ten years old. Seeing her here made my blood boil. The more I learned about James Hartman, the more disgusted I was with ever believing him a good man. He was a monster who had no empathy or control. The fact of knowing he broke children for sport made me want to vomit on his perfectly shiny black shoes.

The little girl looked at me with dull brown eyes. Her dark hair fell in waves around her baby face. She was wearing a simple sundress with a rose in her hair. She didn't seem to notice that her bare feet were firmly standing on. I would have flipped if one of my children walked on this rotten floor, for fear of harpies.

"You know" James said, breaking my eye contact with the little girl "I can give you much better food if you swear yourself to me"

I spat in his face in response. James flinch when the sticky liquid hit the upper part of his cheek. He took one of those fancy napkins from his front shirt pocket and whipped his face with it and smiled at me.

"I do love breaking a beast the hard way. It makes them more loyal to me in the end"

With a snap of his fingers, I suddenly felt the chains slowly go up. They didn't slow when they started pulling me upwards as well. I tried to break free from my cuffs but with the lack of food in my system, I had no energy to do whatsoever. Giving up, I let the chains lift me up until my feet no longer touched the floor.

"Don't do this" I pleaded the monster one last time.

"Give me your daughter" he replied and I shook my head. "Then, shall we start?"