Chapter Six

"Ward!" I cried out, trying to get him to come back. I tried to yell again, but one of the goons holding me back put his hand over my mouth. He pressed down, not so gently, and hissed.
"You scream again and I'll put two bullets in your head," he whispered in a deep voice. He didn't sound like he was kidding.
My eyes widened. I had never been threatened that closely before. Except when Ward and Coulson found me in my van making a Rising Tide announcement. It had felt like so long ago, but only maybe a few weeks. Since then, I've learned how big the world really is and how a team really can be good. S.H.I.E.L.D. really surprised me. The whole time I had been surfing them, I was really hoping to belong. I just didn't know it yet.
"I'm going to let go of your face. You will do what we tell you and if you don't, you are going down. You yell, I will be your downfall. Understood?" I nodded. He pulled his hand away from my mouth and I was finally able to breathe properly. Then he and the other one pulled their arms away from mine, allowing me from the wall. The one who talked to me. Pushed me forward, down the hall where Ward hadn't gone. I didn't move. Then, I felt something cold and hard against my back. I tensed up, knowing they had a gun against me. I started to walk. I still felt the gun, even if it was off my back now.
We went down the hallway, and turned the corner. A group of guards stood there, all turning to us when we arrived. They parted, allowing the two men and me through. We went a ways down that hallway, the wall's color changed twice. It started out a black metallic, then went to a dull cream, then to a wallpaper with a red and orange floral design. I was confused.
I kept walking and went through two wood doors, into what looked like an office. A brown leather chair sat before a large wooden desk. A large black swivel chair stood behind the desk. A cup of steaming coffee and a half eaten muffin sat in the corner of the desk. I was pushed down into the leather chair, my captor standing right behind me I case I did anything. What could I do?
'Ward, where are you?' I spoke in my head. Why didn't he notice I was gone yet? Maybe he just left me. Well, even if he leave me, I will still be able to make it out of this. Somebody here must have some form of human respect. I looked around the room. There were tall bookshelves lining one wall, filled with old books. Behind the desk, there was a large oil painting of an ocean. That was it, just an ocean. I found this place to be a little strange. Why was such a comfortable office down here in a enemy base.
A door opened the back of the room. As I tried to turn my head, the guard pushed his pistol into the back of my head. I stayed looking at the desk.
"Where is he?" The guard asked.
"He's not feelin' well. He be a needin' peace 'n' quiet," the one, who must've come through the door. He had a weird accent, somewhere between Scottish and Irish. It didn't sound like he knew what country he came from.
Just then, the pistol left the back of my head. "Who are-" the guard started to ask, then was interrupted by a silenced shot. I just heard the little 'pew' noise it made instead of a loud gunshot. I had tensed up, thinking that I was in the same room as a killer. Then, footsteps came my way. Trying not breathe, I stayed as still as possible, as if they couldn't see me if I didn't move. I almost passed out and my whole body shook. I wondered, 'was I going to die here? Alone?'
"Skye?" A familiar voice whispered behind me. I whipped around, seeing Ward a few yards behind me. I sighed and smiled. I ran over to him awkwardly; I was shaking from the tension of possibly getting killed. Ward must've seen my shaking. He held out his arm, which I gladly took. Instead of just holding me steady with his arm, he pulled me to his side, wrapping his arm around my waist. I felt myself shaking, but his arm was firm and unmoving.
"Skye, what did they do? Are you alright?" He asked, concern in his voice.
"I'm fine, I'm fine," I replied in a whisper, trying to extinguish his worry. I let go of his arm, trying to stand on my own. I ended up not even taking a step before falling again. From not breathing, barely even now, my vision turned black. I felt something soft lift me up, as I curled into a feeble position.