Two: The Last Day Of School

__________

Song of the chapter:
Sympathy by the Goo Goo Dolls

__________

I slid on a pair of distressed denim shorts and a white v-neck t shirt with a purple zip-up sweatshirt after doing my makeup. I slid on my black Converse, then ran my fingers through my hair one more time. It was the last day of school, meaning that I wouldn't have to see those stuck-up assholes for three months. Talk about a gift from heaven.

Feeling uncomfortable with the fact that I was looking back at myself in the mirror, I quickly left my bedroom and trotted down the stairs, happy that I hadn't had to see my parents laying on the couch in two years. I lived with Mark for all that time.

I could never thank him enough for taking me in like that. It meant the world to me. Not only did he take me away from my parents, but to a different country. Living in Canada, I felt safe. I knew my parents would never be able to get a hold of me again considering Mark had legally adopted me, and I had a restraining order filed against Mom and Dad. Although I felt safe, I was scarred for life both mentally and physically. I would never be able to get my parents' words out of my mind about them not wanting me.

As for my physical damage, well, I couldn't go more than three days without inflicting some type of pain on myself. No one at school knew about my problems though because like I said, I had no friends. There was no one I could trust with something as valuable as that. Not even Mark. He thought I was normal and had a lot of friends. I would tell him I was going to a friend's house after school almost every day when in reality, I would go to the woods within the park to write music. It was an outlet for me for sure. Mark knew that I played piano and occasionally sang, but he didn't know how important it actually was for me. I made sure that he didn't tell anyone though. People didn't need to know about my personal interests. Music had saved my life multiple times. Whenever I was having one of those days where I couldn't stop thinking about the bad, I turned to music. Sometimes it couldn't help, but most of the time it did.

I moved down to the twirly chair at the island counter top and took and apple out of the wicker basket that held all different kinds of fruits. I took a bite and then looked to my left to see Mark with the paper and a coffee in his hands, looking down at the newspaper like it was more important than anything. He broke his focus and looked at me. I smiled at him with a mouthful of apple and waved.

"Good morning." I tried to say. He laughed and ran his fingers through his light brown hair.

"You're very lady like, aren't you?" He mocked. I scowled at him and then leaped off the chair to sit at the table with him. "Happy it's your last day?"

"Yeah. But it's just a reminder that I will be seeing all of those dumb asses in the fall, so it's kind of bittersweet." I shrugged. He didn't answer me, so I looked up at him. He had his eyebrows raised and a slight smile on his lips. I stopped chewing my food and stared right back. "What?"

"Why are you so negative?" He asked, crossing his arms over his stomach. He was already all dressed for work, wearing a black suit and a white button-down shirt with a blue tie. He had to dress that way because he worked as a detective. When I moved in with him, he was just a policeman. Then, due to his great record and hard work, he was promoted. He went through special training and things like that, and he is one of the best ones they have.

"Because I hate everyone." I declared, tossing in another shrug.

He rolled his eyes and looked back down at the newspaper. I looked over at the stove on the clock to see that it was seven twenty, meaning school would be starting in ten minutes.