The Letter

Ever since he was a old enough to talk and walk, Astre always knew something was a little off about him. He could do things other boys his age couldn't. When he had extreme outward bursts of emotions, things always got a little out of control. Lights would flicker, objects would seemingly levitate, and time would just seem to drag on for what seemed like forever. Although he craved to confess to somebody, his brother mainly, he kept the secret to himself. Ciel was the only person in this world who actually believed in him, so why mess up their bond for something so monumentally unbelievable? So he made a promise to never spoke of it. Until one day he heard word from his parents about one of his cousins, a tall blonde boy by the name of Edward, had been invited to a boarding school established near the River Thames.

The school was one by the name of Weston, and was for secondary students, a topic deemed completely irrelevant by a young primary student such as himself. He never thought much of the school and swept it under the rug until had Ciel brought it up in the conversation of school selections while riding along in a cab.

An at the time 9 year old Astre remembered the night vividly. It was a crisp autumn evening, one where the leaves adorn the cobblestone streets and lampposts flickered dimly in the pale light of the moon. Such a peaceful yet resolute evening.

"You know boys, you two have to start considering possibilities for schools. I've heard great things about some of the ones neighboring our estate," said Vincent, their father. He continued by stating that they would have to ask some relatives about the best place to send them to. Their mother eagerly agreed. Ciel seemed to ponder this for a moment before speaking up.

"Like the one Edward's at? Didn't you all say good things about it?"

Rachel contorted her face into a conflicted look. Her gloved hand rest thoughtfully on her pale chin and her thin eyebrows knotted together in concentration. She eventually perked up, and gave a sufficient answer.

"Um, well, Edward has a rather special case, you see. Weston is a very renowned establishment, and with that there are certain requirements that must be meet to enter. Some are born with these traits, such as Edward. I honestly you doubt that you boys have the things they are searching for."

Astre then asked the question that plagued both his and Ciel's rampant thoughts. "Mother," he asked as politely as he could,"what exactly would those requirements be?"

Lady Phantomhive looked alarm for a second before answering in a forced but nonchalant voice, "Oh, don't worry about that, dear, it's not important."

And that was the end of the discussion.

_

When he contemplated the thought of leaving his normal life behind, Aster Phantomhive could have jumped for joy. He knew nothing of the sort was bound to happen to him, of course. He was the younger twin, the one bound to inherit nothing. But here, at eleven years old, he stood silently skimming over his ticket to a better future, completely full of a healthy pride.

He had heard rumors of the infamous school from his parents, but knew the thought of it remained an unattainable like a forbidden fantasy. He, a weak and useless boy, was totally unremarkable and so unlike that of his family, who were strong and unopposed. He, a boy so awkward and unsociable, that it was almost humorous. He, the Spare, destined to inherit nothing from his family's respectable reputation and nobility. But now, he, the boy with the letter to Weston School, felt like he could actually accomplish something useful or extraordinary for once. Normally there was no way he would be accepted into such a prestigious school. He was the "dumb" (if you could call it that) twin. The screwup. Now ready to be someone more.

The name that was lazily scribbled across the waxy parchment, was no doubt his. From the curve of the cursive A all the way to the E, the letters danced around perfectly, blending together into harmony until he was almost dizzy from the unavoidable excitement. He scrambled to the parlor in a blast to find his unassuming family attending to their daily weekend schedules. The days of late had grown hot in the July heat, something very unusual for the rainy and bleak skies of England. Everyone had remained inside to escape the tortuous and sweltering mess, relaxing carelessly in the conditioned houses.

His parents looked up. Rachel was stitching a pattern on to a tapestry. Vincent was reading the afternoon news. Ciel immediately lit up at the arrival of his younger twin brother. Perhaps he could come and play with him. Lizzy was to come over soon, so they might be able to bond together for once.

But a flash of recognition shot all over their faces when they spotted the letter on his petite hand. Something was going obviously going on.

"Astre," his mother started," what's in your hand, dear?" Her words were rather shaky, almost as if she hadn't anticipated this turn of events. Astre's beaming grin, it seems, was not going away.

Ciel ran up to his identical twin and proceeded to snatch the parchment from his hand and began to read it aloud.

"Dear Mr. Phantomhive, we are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Weston Secondary School. Encased below is a list of items that you will need to complete during your first year. We are pleased to have you at our esteemed institution and will look forward to seeing you on September 28. Have a blessed day. Signed, Headmaster Undertaker."

After Ciel finished reading his brother's letter, he turned to face him head on. He was absolutely giddy, a beaming grin very evident on his round face. He then embraced his brother in a suffocating embrace and began to sing him praises. Their parents, on the other hand, just exchanged surprised glances.

Vincent proceeded to get out of the vintage love seat that he sat in. He drew in a deep breath and asked to see the letter in question. The twins, trained to obey their father's every whim, did so without question.

The Earl studied the note with a neutral face, eyes surfing up and down the paper. Sure enough, it looked official. Just to be sure, Vince tested his sister, former attendee of said place. And soon enough, they were discussing the authenticity of it. The insignia and writing were all lined up correctly, so they had come to the conclusion that it was real. The two siblings watched with a vague interest as the Earl did every possible test to prove a point. When it was all over, he let out a subtle sigh and pinched the bridge of his nose.

Finally, he turned to his lovely wife and gave a final nod, one of confirmation. It was crystal clear in her eyes that she understood whatever he meant by it.

Eventually he stopped down to eye level with his only two children, placing his gloved hands on their heads. He looked Astre in the eye, and asked him," Astre, have you noticed anything. . . Unusual recently? Like being able to, say," the Earl started twirling his hand in a circular motion, a notion obviously meant to be seen as casual," do things other children can't?"

The Spare sucked in his breath as soon as his guardian uttered the question. In an instant, he started fiddling his sleeves. The parents saw this motion and took it as confirmation.

After a few seconds, Vincent gave a an exhausted smile. "So it seems, huh? Well, let me be the first to tell you, my son. You're a wizard, Astre."