04. Sound of Silence

edit: just realised i had been using navigations/ nav-system while meaning the hyperdrive that was broken, just fixed this is the prev chapter.

--

'Kayfive, get the engine ready.' He bleeped in reply. 'I can install the computer when we're out of this mess.' Jysella winced as she pressed the comlink, the movement putting strain on her sprained wrist. In her other arm was the stolen hyperdrive from Harstan's Y60 freighter.

She panted as the stich in her side grew. Pain radiated down to her ankles. She paused for a moment. Jysella then shot up and dodged a blast that brushed past her head. Looks like Harstan had woken up and sent his grunts after her.

Jysella was glad that Blowback town was surrounded by boulders and other formations. More cover. She shielded her face as rock fragments rained down upon her. She ducked as another blast exploded a boulder to her left. 'Get ready in the gunnery Kayfive we've got some company.' K5 complained at this. Jysella rolled her eyes at the droid.

Jysella gritted her teeth. Her hands scraped over the jagged rocks. She jolted as she reached the bottom of the hill. It would be an all-out sprint to get to the TIE fighter. There was nothing for her to hide behind. Just a stretch of sand. She readjusted the grip on the computer before setting off.

She let out a sigh of relief as the black hull of the fighter glinted against the midday sun. She blew her hair out of her face. It had long since fallen out of her First Order regulation style.

Almost there. The viewport was ready and open. She swung herself in, flinching as the heat of a blast skimmed her arm. The port closed behind her. She raced over the main control system at the cockpit. She ordered K5 to start shooting. The group following her soon dispersed as shots rained down from the fighter. Then it was silent.

With a breath Jysella leant back against the dashboard. 'Thanks for having my back buddy.' The droid let out a wobbly sigh contemplating the situation it had gotten itself in. Jysella crouched under the dashboard and began extracting the broken components leftover from the old hyperdrive. 'Hey at least we're still alive.' She mumbled to herself. K5 asked for an update on what was going on. Though not before adding in a few sassy remarks about their situation. She huffed and began connecting the wires for the new system.

'It's good news. Poe's alive and on his way to the Resistance. He got off planet with a Blarina called Ohn Gos.' The droid whistled, it complained that the trip to Jakku a waste of time. 'Well at least we know that he's okay and that Bee-bee-ate is on its way to the Resistance.'

After about twenty minutes the wires had been connected. She quickly went through a few safety checks as the aged computer system plotted the course to D'Qar. The computer that she stole from Harstan's freighter was ancient. She almost chuckled to herself. Can't really be choosy with stolen tech.

Jysella and K5 were soon back up in the air. She flipped the controls to reach lightspeed when they began to exit the atmosphere. She desperately hoped that the Finalizer had left the orbit of Jakku. Within a few seconds they were in hyperspace and on their way to D'Qar. She leant back in her seat and reached around to the broken straps of the seatbelt.

While the navcom plotted their course, she grabbed a few of the tools rolling around the dashboard and began to fix the seatbelt. She blinked rapidly and wiped away the sweat dripping down into her eyes. My kingdom for a real shower. With actual water. At this point I wouldn't even care if it was a cold shower. Jysella registered a small ping in her periphery. The course was plotted to D'Qar. The course would take them right past Takodana.