Chapter 40 - Homesick

Start from the beginning

Outside the air is clear, the heavy atmosphere from earlier has dissipated. As I look around the sights and sounds that greet me are achingly familiar. There is a faint

sound of music from the main house, the soft muted murmur of voices from the quarters behind me. I turn and head for the shed that is used as a gym aiming to work up a sweat with a workout. Inside the gym the air is circulated by a large fan, I strip my shirt off and move to a treadmill, stepping up onto it I set a program into it and turn it on.

It feels good to jog as my warm up starts, gradually the speed and incline will increase getting my heart rate up before I move to other equipment to work on muscle strength. I turn my head and watch as Micah walks into the gym, he rips his shirt as he pulls it off and tosses it aside before stepping onto the treadmill closest me to. He is breathing heavily and faint guttural growls come from him as he eyes me. I can't help myself and growl back, I knew it would eventually come to some kind of a show down between us. Micah trembles visibly for several moments before he hits a few buttons and the treadmill starts, a few adjustments and he is moving faster then me. I suck my breath in through my teeth as my heart starts to beat faster, my muscles swell, a few taps and my treadmill speeds up.

My attention is divided between pushing myself faster on my treadmill and keeping track of Micah. I am fit and hard from daily hunting as well as runs around the Homestead property. I can feel the sweat start to run down my chest and spine as I glance across at Micah. I don't think I have ever seen him look more pumped up or fitter, I guess it is true what they say about the husband bulking up when his wife has a daughter. Our joggers are pounding on the treadmill belts, the machines going as fast as they can. In a startling move Micah grabs the front of his machine and executes a running somersault to dismount from the still racing treadmill and land on the mats in the open area. Not to be outdone I try my own running somersault over the front of my treadmill. I am annoyingly aware my dismount isn't as smooth as Micah's as he sends me a feral grin but I cover my stumble as I swing my arms and slap my chest.

"You're gonna learn not to leave your stink all over my wife boy," Micah snarls insultingly. Refusing to be provoked I lift my top lip into a sneering snarl.

"I will leave my scent all over her every time you are not there with her," I taunt. In the back of my mind I remember all the times I had seen my father spar with his own head warrior seemingly in earnest. Was this what it was?

We begin to circle each other on the mats, I fake an attempt to come to grips and am slightly surprised when Micah steps forward eagerly. I find myself forced to shake off his hold as Micah stops circling and lifts his chin slightly, I know he is looking at others who have come in the doorway.

"Time for me to school you boy," Micah says smoothly. This time he doesn't resume circling, instead he comes straight at me and I step forward eagerly. The slam of his body forces me back a step and I don't have time to react before he scoops me up over his head and slams me down onto the mat on my back. My breath leaves my body with a harsh grunt and I loose a vital second trying to suck air back into my lungs. I drive low against his legs trying to knock him down, I succeed but instantly regret it as I find myself battling not only his greater strength but also his greater weight. I grunt and slam an elbow back hard, I feel it connect solidly and hear the hiss of breath from Micah.

"You won't always be there ..." I taunt. A voice in the back of my mind warns me I am playing with fire but I can't help myself as I laugh and lift my chin as we face each other.

"She tastes real good don't she?" I say and chuckle as I grin. "And the way she smells ... all hot and spicy ... all wet and slick in the shower ..."

This time Micah tackles me taking us both down onto the mat, we grunt and hiss as we trade some serious holds and blows. A hard forearm splits the inside of my mouth as my cheek is ground against my teeth, I taste and smell the coppery tang of my own blood. I am forced to keep moving, rolling, turning to avoid being pinned for more than a few seconds. I manage to break away and get to my feet for a few quick breaths but Micah launches himself at me before he is even on his feet and we go down in a tangle of arms and legs. A hard elbow connects with my nose, bone crunches and I feel blood flow freely. I loose control of my temper and suddenly we are rolling around trading full strength blows.