Chapter 4: The Macaroons

They talked all night. Her dad went and got McDonalds, they ate, they sat and they talked. About her sister, about what she was thinking and about what to do next. She watched and listened and made observations. She hid her fear and doubt. And then she went to bed and went back to school as though nothing had happened. She saw him there. She watched him walk by while she was holding the boy's hand. She tried to forget, she thought that she could but she couldn't. He was stuck in her mind.

She was numb. Exhausted. Scared out of her mind. She didn't want to worry her parents, or disappoint them. They had enough on their plate.

Her little brother went to the doctor for his bad behavior and he was diagnosed with ADHD. Meds. More meds. Her mom was happy to find that they worked.

School was her escape. She had amazing friends that she didn't deserve, at least in her opinion. They were her choir friends, they shared a passion and it made her smile every time she thought about them. They made beautiful music, better than their choir. The kind that made you laugh and shiver. They were the kind of people with no shame, the ones who would sing in public and sound amazing so that people would stop and listen. They were the people everybody wanted to be. Once, they were on a field trip to Seattle the previous year and they were in a little café in the outskirts of Pike Place Market. It was warm and it smelled amazing. When they were waiting in line to buy delicious macaroons, and she started singing a song from a musical they had preformed the week before and they made four part harmony. They had people smiling, laughing and clapping at the end. Her friends made her forget about her problems, they kept her sane. She thought about that day a lot. It seemed like a part of the life she had imagined for herself, the perfect, happy girl. She remembered her friend smiling so big and she remembered the people grinning, clapping and singing along. The had flash mobbed. Another memory: they were at the local college for a music festival and she had started it, clapping on her legs like their drum player usually did. They sat in a circle clapping and slapping their knees and singing a song about being happy. It made her feel elated, amazing, and she never wanted to feel anything else. Those were the best days of her life.