New Eden (Chapter 29)

"Jesus. Except for their vehicles, these guys don't have shit," one of the bandits said to the man in charge while we all knelt on the freezing ground outside the store. Well, we all knelt except for the two Fox guards who had been on duty when the bandits arrived. No one had seen them since, and I suspected we would never see them again.

One of the bandits had moved the Humvee that blocked the entrance and was now rummaging through all of our vehicles. "Where's your food?"

"We don't have any," someone said.

Every single one of the bandits had a mean look, like they were all pissed off at the world and thought they deserved special treatment now. The leader, missing three fingers on his left hand, had the cruelest look of all. One of his men had called him Hodge, and we all avoided meeting his gaze. He had a mean look, like he'd been this way even before the outbreak. His eyes—cunning like a fox—seemed devoid of any emotion as he looked over the Camp Fox survivors like we were nothing more than cattle.

Our backpacks sat, opened and empty of contents, in a pile behind him, along with our coats. All of our weapons had been confiscated and carried into the store. The bandits who had disarmed me had been overly thorough. I'd wanted to scream and bite as they'd groped, but I'd stood perfectly still with a clenched jaw, afraid of what they'd do to Clutch if I'd reacted. When one was busy checking under my bra with his cold hands, he commented, "Too bad. This one wouldn't be too bad looking if her face wasn't so messed up."

The other one chuckled. "Easy fix. Just turn her around."

Clutch managed to tackle that one before three others knocked him to the ground. He'd gotten a black eye and swollen cheek, but they moved on from me after that. I felt sorry for the other women, who received the same treatment.

When Mary was grabbed, her husband lunged forward and they kicked him in the stomach. As they dragged her back toward the store, she begged them to stop. Her husband, still holding his stomach, climbed to his feet and ran toward her. A bandit raised his rifle, and my eyes widened. Shots cut through the night air, and I jumped. He collapsed, and she screamed. The bandit holding her punched her and she went limp. Tension hung in the air as she disappeared inside.

"If any of you idiots try something stupid like that," Hodge said, pointing to the body. "You're going to end up the same way. Got it?"

No one moved.

Hodge weaved through us, looking at each person one at a time. As he stood behind us, he spoke. "Many of you are wearing uniforms. Are you associated with New Eden?"

No one spoke.

Something moved, and somebody cried out. I swallowed back my fear.

"I've never heard of New Eden," Tyler said from several feet to my left.

The leader came walking around and stood in front of Tyler. "If you're not with New Eden, what base are you with?"

Tyler didn't answer.

Hodge bent to stare him down, his smooth brown hair covering some of his face, but Tyler stared straight ahead. "Yeah, you're military, all right." He looked up and narrowed his eyes at Clutch. "I'd bet quite a few of you are." He walked over to Deb and held his pistol to her head. She whimpered and tightened her lips. "Since I'm not, I'll ask one more time. What base are you with."

"We're with the Camp Fox National Guard base," Tyler ground out.

Hodge lifted his pistol. "Never heard of it, but that doesn't matter. You military folks are all in bed together, so you are going to help me."

"Please," Vicki said through shivers. "We're hungry. At least feed the children."

The leader looked up. "Tell me boys. How does a beggar earn food around here?"