Sloth (Chapter 17)

SLOTHThe Fourth Deadly Sin

We held Tack's funeral the following morning.

Griz had used his Ranger skills and somehow managed to climb onto the riverboat and cut down Tack's body sometime during the attack without getting caught. Tack had been executed—shot in the head. That he hadn't been beaten was little consolation to any of us.

Deb refused to leave Tack after he was brought on board. When I stopped by to offer my condolences while she was preparing his body, she seemed oblivious, completely lost in her own world. By morning, she'd regained her composure and now stood strong, her blotchy cheeks and swollen red eyes the only outward signs of her mourning.

Even Manny and his people joined all of Camp Fox on the towboat's deck, just off the back, where the water was deepest. Frost and Wes had spent the night building a heavy casket out of wood leftover from pallets and various metal parts found on the barges so that Tack would find permanent peace at the bottom of the river.

Griz led the service. He and Tack had been best friends, and Griz had to stop several times during his speech to take a deep breath before continuing. After he recited a prayer, he asked everyone to share a story.

No one spoke. Then, after a long minute, Tyler stepped up and told everyone about Tack, the skinny new recruit on his team who wasn't expected to make it a week. He ended by finally sharing Tack's real name. Corporal Theodore Nugent. Yeah, the poor guy was seriously named after a rock star. No wonder he'd always gone by his nickname. We all laughed. Even Deb cracked a smile, though it was still a sad expression.

After Tyler, the stories came easily. Some were short like Frost's straightforward proclamation, "I'd have been proud to call him my son." Others, like Benji's, took fifteen minutes or more. For his story, the young boy went into detail about how Tack had shown up with a foam football for his birthday. Benji went so far as to run back to the barge, with Diesel at his heels, to reclaim the purple ball so we could all see the special present.

Jase talked of the time Tack had gotten him drunk for the first time in his life, and they'd tried to catch a possum with their bare hands. Jase showed us the scar on his hand that I'd always thought bore a striking resemblance to sharp teeth marks.

Clutch and I talked about the time the three of us ran through Chow Town and, by some miracle, managed not to become dinner for five thousand or so zeds.

The service lasted for hours, and we took snack breaks. Everyone was there except for the scouts on duty, but Tyler had instituted one-hour rotations to ensure everyone had a chance to say good-bye while remaining on full alert for herds and the Lady Amore.

We cried and we laughed as we celebrated Tack's life. When everyone had finished, Griz turned to Deb. She was the only one who had known Tack well and hadn't spoken yet. "Would you like to say anything?" he asked softly.

She looked across the faces and then touched Tack's casket. "I'm carrying his baby."

A lengthy pause followed. There was nothing that could be said after that. Finally, eight volunteers slid the weighted casket onto a makeshift ramp of two-by-fours. "Lord, grant Tack peace," Griz said before shoving the casket off.

We all watched from the edge of the deck as the casket splashed into the water. It floated for only a second before it descended into the darkness. Bubbles came to the surface, the final glimpse we had of Tack, aka Ted Nugent, a Corporal in the United States National Guard.

I looked up at the zeds surrounding the Aurora. There were only a few dozen, having been drawn in by the dark smoke. A few tried to walk through the water and were carried away by the current. Most had a basic sense of preservation and simply stood on the bridge over the river, swaying from side to side as they watched. The herds weren't here yet. Kurt's last scouting run put them out several days. The closest herd had stopped at a large river town, buying us time. If we didn't clear the zeds now watching the camp, they'd surely draw the attention of a herd.