Gluttony (Chapter 22)

GLUTTONY: The Sixth Deadly Sin

Two very long weeks later

"It seems like the ones in back and on the edges are moving on," Tyler said as he walked down the steps and into the crew quarters. "Only problem is that there's still at least fifty thousand or more out there sticking around."

"Figured that was the case," Clutch said while he did another lunge. "I have to hand it to them. Once they zero in on something, the bastards are persistent."

"It really sucks being at the bottom of the food chain," I said, matching Clutch's lunge.

Eight of us were going through daily exercises. We'd just finished several sets of push-ups and sit-ups. We tried to keep it interesting by having each scout come up with an exercise, but after a while, even that got old. There were only so many variations to a push-up.

But the herds outside just kept coming. Even though it seemed like tens, if not hundreds, of thousands continued on their journey, enough stayed behind, seemingly too hungry to continue for the slight chance for prey. Two herds currently surrounded the Aurora from the bridge and both sides of the river. They couldn't reach us, not through the water, but at least a hundred tried-or were pushed-each day, and at least a couple dozen of those made it onto the island. I'd quit looking out the window on the fourth day. It made it easier to pretend that we weren't caught in the middle of the world's worst shit storm.

"C'mon. Just one."

I turned to see Griz with his open hand stretched out.

Jase shook his head. "No way. Go find your own."

"Why? You have a whole case of them."

"I risked my life for them." He held up a half-eaten candy bar. "These Snickers are my one and only joy in life so you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands."

"Don't tempt me."

When I turned back to Tyler, he had moved closer to Clutch.

"We need to ration harder. Vicki says we need to move to a diet of at least ninety percent grain," Tyler said in a low voice. "Without fresh meat and vegetables, we're going through our food stores four times as fast as we calculated."

Clutch's lips thinned. "People aren't going to like to hear it."

I winced. They weren't going to like to hear that news at all, but we had no other option. Heading to the mainland was out of the question. Worse, enough zeds had fallen in the water and scared the fish away, not that I could yet take a bite of fish without gagging. More and more zeds were washing ashore and now lingered on our island.

As long as the zeds were out there, we were stuck in what could easily become our tomb. "We need to get the zeds away from the Aurora," I said my thoughts aloud.

Tyler chuckled. "Want me to get on the bullhorn and order the zeds to leave?"

Clutch was watching me all too closely.

"I'll do it," I said after a moment. "I'll lead the herds away from the river barge."

"Cash..." Clutch warned.

I gave him a pleading look. I knew the odds. I'd been an actuary before the outbreak, but I figured the odds out on the river couldn't be any worse than staying on the boat. Staying on the boat was only delaying the odds. "If we don't do something, who knows how long the herds will stay. If we wait until we are out of food, it'll be too late. You know how long it took to build up the reserves we're burning through. The winter may kill the zeds, but without our livestock, it's going to kill us, too. I'll take a boat and run the Pied Piper plan."