Purgatory (Chapter 3)

Start from the beginning

If they found us, it wouldn't take them long to break through the old door. Clutch's eyes remained closed, and I couldn't even tell he was breathing, let alone conscious, though I knew he was listening as intently as I was. Wes kept his rifle aimed at the door. The sounds grew louder. My nerves felt like they were about to detonate. My tense muscles ached.

Something brushed against the shop, and the air in my lungs froze. With no windows on that side of the building, the zeds couldn't see inside. It also meant we couldn't see if they were stopping to sniff around the shop or merely passing through in their quest to find us.

* * *

Hours passed as the zeds checked out the shop, brushing against the walls on all four sides. They'd lingered for some reason, but whatever it was, it wasn't enough to work them into a frenzy. None pounded against the building. It seemed like they were more curious than anything.

And so we waited. My back ached from standing in one position. I sat on the ground as quietly as possible, knowing the smallest sound could draw attention. Wes had long since lowered his rifle and sat at a tool bench, but he still faced the door. I could tell by Clutch's pale, pained expression that he needed to be lying down, but he didn't dare move.

The sounds grew fainter until I could hear nothing but silence. Wes looked back and glanced from Clutch to me.

Wait, I mouthed. There'd be stragglers. There were always stragglers. Ones whose guttural wails would call the others back if they found us. And so we waited longer. I didn't take even one step toward the door in case there were any zeds still out there. That they hadn't sniffed us out meant that the various car and old oil smells in the shop had provided better cover than I'd anticipated. Or, the zeds' senses were deteriorating right along with their bodies.

After a forced count to one thousand, I glanced at Wes and then crept toward the sliding shop door. When I reached it, I put my ear to the crack and heard nothing. Taking a deep breath, I pushed the door open an inch. The rollers squeaked, and I cringed. I peeked through the crack.

At first, I saw nothing. Then, movement in the corner of my eye caused me to scan again. Sure enough, a pair of slow moving zeds was focused on the garage.

"Is it clear?" Wes whispered at my side.

I jumped at the unexpected question. "Clear enough. But I don't think we'll want to stick around here all night." I threw him a glance. "Let's go home."

"You don't need to twist my arm," he said before heading back to the Jeep.

Wes started the engine, and the two zeds continued their shamble toward the garage. I shoved open the door, grunting, finding it much harder to open this time. To my right, a zed that must've been pressing against the door spun around and was sent tumbling to the ground. I marched over, twirled my spear around, and skewered its head. The two zeds' moans grew louder.

When it no longer moved, I walked over to meet the pair of zeds. Their groans rose as they reached out for me. I speared the male through its forehead, yanking my weapon back to knock out the ankles of the female zed. It went down on its back, its head making a solid thump against the ground. I stood over it and brought my spear down, putting it out of its misery. I didn't know if zeds suffered, though they'd never winced whenever I cut off a limb or stabbed one. They just looked miserable.

I figured they just were. They existed—without feeling or thought—and with a single urge: to feed. At least that's what I told myself to make it easier to kill what had once been a person. The worst part about zeds wasn't their hunger or viciousness or stench. It was that each one resembled someone I knew before the outbreak. They were reminders of loved ones lost. Then again, maybe I was just trying to anthropomorphize something that was no longer human.