37. The Black Widow Spider

Comenzar desde el principio

I left him on the landing, going back into my bedroom with Luke's heart still in my hand. Opening the wardrobe, I took out the almost-full jar and placed his heart in it, struggling to close it. I grinned at my literal jar of hearts, placing them on the bed for an unlucky squatter or real-estate agent to find – a parting gift.

...

As we drove into the familiar area, I rolled my eyes.

"You're obsessed with New Orleans!" I exclaimed. "We can't have any fun here. Or have you forgotten what a complete drill-sergeant your 'son' is?"

"That's the point," he said. "Aside from Original vampires, what other type of vampire is the most threatening?"

I grinned. "A humanity-less vampire."

"Exactly. I'm taking this city back from Marcel and you're going to help me."

"Not really," I said. "You know what sounds like a better plan? You're gonna do... that, and I'm gonna do whatever the hell I want. The advantage of having no humanity - I don't actually have to help you."

"Oh right," he said. "Funny, last time we were here you wanted to take Marcel down. I was giving you the opportunity."

I looked over at him and shrugged. "I don't really care about him anymore," I said nonchalantly. "And even with my humanity off, I'm not stupid enough to believe that you brought me here to kill your protégé."

"He's becoming a problem," he said in response as we entered the French Quarter.

I rolled my eyes. "Fine, if you want me to kill Marcel, I'll kill him. And some of his vampires. And anyone else who happens to cross my path."

We got out of the car and walked towards the bar where we first found Marcel.

"Hey sexy," a guy in the street called to me. I tried to walk towards him (to rip his heart out, obviously) but Klaus kept a vice-like grip on my arm.

"Let's not draw attention to ourselves."

"If I could rip your arm out of the socket, I would," I informed him honestly.

"I know," he said, ushering me into the bar. Marcel was easy to find, his vampires were gathered around him. It would have sickened me if I still had my humanity. Why would you, as a vampire, choose to spend your life bowed down to someone else?

"You're back," Marcel said, spotting Klaus. "And you brought the little Bennett."

"I need you to get rid of your vampires," Klaus said. Marcel gave a dry chuckle and stood up.

"Now, why would I do that?"

I turned to the vampire closest to me and ripped out his heart. Everyone in the room turned to me.

"I'm sorry, my hand slipped and fell into his heart, it was a complete accident," I said with a grin. Then I turned to the vampire next to him and did the exact same thing, earning myself another heart. "That one was on purpose."

One of the other vampires began to run towards me, but Marcel raised a hand to calm him.

"So this is your plan?" Marcel asked, a hint of agitation written on his face. "You brought her here to threaten us?"

"Serena currently has her humanity switched off. I assure you, she doesn't care about this town, or about your vampires. In fact, she's itching to have some fun with the human residents of our city."

"There are innocent people living here," Marcel said.

"I know that," Klaus said reassuringly. "But like I said, she doesn't care. And she doesn't answer to anyone."

I looked at the vampires and spotted Diego, who I met last time I was here. He was cute. He'd definitely make a good 'Black Widow' victim.

"I'm not giving the city up," Marcel said. "And I'm not getting rid of my vampires."

"Fine," Klaus said. "Serena, you have free reign with the people of this town. Go crazy."

I was still eyeing Diego. "Actually, I'm good here, thanks."

Klaus breathed out a frustrated sigh. "Seriously? You have one job."

"I don't work for you," I reminded him. He gave me a look that, from an outside point of view, could have been mistaken for anger. But I knew him well enough to know that it wasn't. He was pleading with me.

"Tell you what, I get to go on a date with Diego and then, I'll rip this town limb from limb?" I offered.

"Great," Klaus smiled. "Rip first, date after."

I pretended to be annoyed. "You drive a hard bargain Klaus Mikaelson."

I walked out onto the street, surprised that Marcel hadn't stopped me. Maybe he thought I wouldn't really do it.

As a group of girls walked past me, I heard their hearts beating and smelled the blood in their veins. I was about to have a lot of fun in New Orleans. And I wouldn't stop until the town was raining blood.

**************************************************

Thanks so much for reading!

Do you like Serena without her humanity?

Vote and comment if you like this chapter!