Chapter 10

"Hello?" Dipper hesitantly answered the phone.

He knew he had been waiting for his sister to call him, but still, his heart stopped when her name popped up in the cellphone's screen.

For the first time in a long time, he didn't know what to expect. He didn't know what she'd say, or what she was thinking.

All he knew was that she was hiding something, and that was too concerning for him to ignore. They never hid anything from each other.

"Hey!" She replied. Her tone of voice was still cheerful as usual. "So, I heard you're out of town, uh?"

"Oh... Yeah...," he said nervously.

"Where are you?" Mabel asked, and that was when he realized her acting. She knew where he was. She was just trying to make him tell her, before she'd show up in Gravity Falls, and do whatever she was planning to do.

"Yeah, about that," he thought for some seconds. She already knew it. He could lie, or he could tell the truth, and it wouldn't make a difference. "I'm in a near town, I swear. I'll be back in a few days"

"What? Why are you off town?"

"I needed a break from the big cities. Get my mind thinking straight, I guess," he shrugged, knowing she hadn't bought the lie, and was possibly even more concerned, or mad, by the fact he was lying.

Either ways, she was the one who lied first, right? She was the first one who broke their rule of never hiding anything from each other.

"I miss Gravity Falls," she teased, her tone of voice faking innocence. If he didn't know her, or if he was any less aware, he'd have believed it. "I'm thinking about traveling back during vacation. What ya think?"

"Great idea"

"You should come with me. You haven't been there for a while, right?"

"Definitely. Miss the old men," he giggled, nervously.

"Yeah, me too," she laughed back, making a small pause. "How are the nightmares?"

"Nightmares?"

He had to admit, he had been caught off guard with that question. Dipper knew it was the reason of why he was at Gravity Falls at first place, but everything going on in his mind made him forget about it completely. It wasn't about the nightmares anymore, it was about finding the truth hidden from him, and why it was hidden. 

"Oh, yeah, the nightmares!" He answered finally, staring down at his feet. "The same, you know. Still haven't found a way to put a stop to them" 

"Maybe you should see a doctor," Mabel suggested. 

"Yeah, why not, right? I'm going to look for one tomorrow, then" 

"Want me to see for you?" She asked innocently. "I mean,  you're out of town and all, I can look for one for you. I'm your big sis!"

"We're twins," he laughed. 

"I know. Twins always take care of each other," she teased. 

"Also, twins never lie, right?" He replied in the same tone. 

"I need to go now," she finally said, ending the call. 

He stared emotionless to the phone screen for a few moments, wondering what kind of awkward conversation he had just had. He had never been more sure that she was hiding something. He just wasn't sure of how much of a big deal it was. 

********************* 

My sister called me. He texted Wirt, almost immediately after ending the call, as he threw himself on the bed. 

Yeah? What did she say? The other boy replied instantly. 

She knows I'm here. 

 Did she say it? 

No. She asked me where was I. She was acting. 

And is she even a good actress? 

Yup, she's just not used to lying to me, I guess. I mean, she does have Grunkle Stan's genes after all. 

And so do you. Maybe you could make a little use of that. 

No, I was always a bit more like Grunkle Ford. 

Are you sure you don't have the genes? 

I am. I used to think I had nothing to do with anyone in the family. 

But what about this Ford?

He showed up later. I mean, he was in a trip outside the country, and I only met him when I was like, twelve. That was when I realized I sounded like someone in family. 

Only when you were twelve? And no one used to mention him before or?

No. 

Why's that? 

Uh, I think he had some fights with people in the family before leaving, or some weird thing like that. Usual family stuff, you know? 

Oh, yeah. We all have that uncle. 

I guess. 

But he never even sent a card during Christmas? That's weird. Even the people we didn't talk used to send us cards, or pictures of their dogs. 

He doesn't have a dog. 

You get my point.

Oh, well, I don't know. I guess my family is a little bit more fucked up than yours, but still

Probably. He's a scientist, isn't he?

Yeah. 

That's awesome. My great uncle is kind of lame. I don't even understand what he says. 

Not everyone's great uncle get to be a scientist. 

Is he a mad scientist?

No? 

Then is not so awesome. Every scientist needs to hide some major discover, that can destroy the planet, or shatter time. 

What? You're crazy. Oh my God. Dipper laughed with himself.

Are you sure? 

Pretty sure. He's just an old scientist, no big deal, or hidden project that can destroy the planet, shatter time, and put in risk many lives. Just regular dude, living regular life. 

********************

Sorry I haven't updated in forever. I don't have an excuse now, only shame, and writer's block. So, any theories? I've never written any story like this one, and I'm kind of getting excited with it! Yay. I might even keep this project up, and write an actual novel, with other characters, of course, but based in this. I really liked the vibe. Are you guys enjoying it? What do you guys think? I want to listen! 

Hope you enjoyed it. Comment your thoughts about it! <3