△ chapter 3 - resurrection z △

// outfit displayed in media //

the soft and warm missouri breeze caused plants in the field to gracefully sway, and locks of phoenix's hair to move along in the direction the light wind made them move to.

the pyrokinetic's amber eyes were irritatedly narrowed, although no one would be able to notice as they were shaded by her pair of sunglasses. what was the cause of her irritation, you might ask? well, murphy, obviously.

the man had been standing out in the field and taking a leak for an unnatural amount of time. it genuinely concerned phoenix at first, but her miniscule amount of concern was quickly swept away by the fact that he was holding up everyone. his hair also began to grow back quite unevenly, and it was an eye sore to look at.

"no z's in sight." mack's voice cut through the silent atmosphere filled with wait and anticipation.

"anybody else worried about mr. sunshine over there?" doc asked, warily eyeing the discolored man.

"i know. he's looking worse." garnett agreed.

"it's really hard to worry about a dickhead, doc." phoenix stated in a matter-of-fact tone.

"c'mon guys, let's give him a break." addy defended. "it's the apocalypse. none of us look our best. it's like one long bad hair day."

mack jumped up into the bed of the truck next to where phoenix sat. "speaking of hair, what's with all the bald patches?"

"maybe that vaccine is like zombie chemo." cassandra spoke.

"or maybe the vaccine isn't working." 10k suggested.

phoenix snorted at that, and smirked at her boyfriend. "that's some nice optimism you got there, buddy."

10k jokingly rolled his eyes in response and playfully nudged the girl's shoulder. "just sayin'."

murphy turned his head to look at them as if he heard their gossiping. they instantly averted their gazes to act like they weren't staring at him and talking about him as he peed, which probably only made them look more suspicious. the only person who didn't try to conceal the fact that she was watching murphy was phoenix, who continued to shamelessly stare at the man with immense vexation growing inside of her.

"hurry up, sweetheart!" she called, and stifled a chuckle at the expression murphy made. "we're wasting daylight!"

"bite me!" he retorted, flipping off the now angered pyrokinetic.

"i will not hesitate to literally set your ass on fire!" phoenix threatened, raising up her flaming middle finger at the man, although he was turned away so he couldn't see.

"don't waste your breath." mack grumbled to the girl. "he's not worth it."

"trust me," the teen scoffed, scowling at murphy. "i know."

meanwhile, garnett and doc we're discussing whether or not murphy would make it to california. the only part of their conversation that phoenix heard was "if he goes zombie, we might have to put him down".

phoenix's eyes lit up behind her darkened sunglasses, and she turned to face garnett with an eager grin. "dibs on piking him!"

at the same time, warren declared the same exact thing, and the two females were suddenly caught in a competitive stare down. phoenix raised her hand to slowly slide off her shades, revealing her narrowed eyes. the teen's face was deathly serious and challenging, while warren only managed to keep her stony-faced facade up for a few moments before her face broke into a grin. chuckling, she raised her hands up in defeat. "alright, you win."